low IBU, massive dry hop beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
what are everyones thought on a beer like this:

10pounds 2row
.25oz chinook at 60mins

any clean yeast like us05 or notty

dryhop: 2oz amarillo, 1oz cascade, 1oz columbus

Interesting idea, but without bitterness to balance it out, I think the perception will be overly sweet and floral/citrusy. I'd bump up the bittering to hit at least 30 IBUs

+1 on 30ish IBUs, although I believe Gumballhead is in the upper 20s. That beer relies on late additions as well as dry hopping.

Personally I would consider some late additions on brew day, my experience has been that dry hopping gives you a somewhat more resiny flavor than 0-5 minute additions which give you a more floral aroma. Without any flavor/aroma additions something might be missing. Though I'm not sure.

Having said all that, these sorts of experiments make this hobby great IMO.

im not so sure it would sweet at all if i mash around 150F.

BMC uses about the same amount of bittering hops and doesnt come off sweet at all to me. no crystal malts or anything, just 2row

I recently read that you can get a little too much grassiness from the dry hops if you don't have some IBU's to back it up. Can't confirm that though.

im not so sure it would sweet at all if i mash around 150F.

BMC uses about the same amount of bittering hops and doesnt come off sweet at all to me. no crystal malts or anything, just 2row

I didn't really mean actual malt sweetness. It's just that with that amount of dry hop, with no bitterness to back it up, the citrusy and floral aromas can easily influence the perceived flavor. And since we tend to associate citrus and floral with sweet, I think the beer will seem sweeter than it really is. Flavor is highly influenced by our sense of smell.

BMC has absolutely zero hop flavor and aroma so you really cannot compare.

I have never tried something like this, so I could be way off base, but this would be my concern if I was going to try this.

at 75% eff, this would come out to 5.5-6% abv. budweiser is 5% abv, bud ice is about 5.5
I'm aware, but Bud's FG is much lower than an all malt beer would be. Bud gets equivalent abv from higher attenuation on a lower OG. I'll admit that 2/3 was a small exaggeration, but Bud is still probably only 80% of your OG (1.045sh instead of 1.055sh). That keeps the GU:BU ratio closer to neutral than sweet.

Back