Old Milwaukee Light is a Punchline/Wins GOLD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
At the 2008 World Beer Cup, Old Milwaukee Light won Gold in the category of American-Style light lager?!? WTF? I've never tried it, but I have always used it as a punchline. Natty Light won bronze? Really?

omw.jpg

This was a "Whawawwhaaaat?" for me too. The BMC types regularly do well in this category in the major comps. The only explanation I have come up with is that their sponsorship dollars are nice. Not that the judging isn't straight, but that the category is essentially for, well, piss.

Check out BJCP style 1A - Light Lager. Given examples of the style include Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Light . . .

It has been said many times before, but there is probably not much taste difference between the 34 entries. That would probably be a really hard category to judge for this reason.

It has been said many times before, but there is probably not much taste difference between the 34 entries. That would probably be a really hard category to judge for this reason.

Well I have 3 games of softball tonight and this is the last night of the season. Everyone else is getting a 40oz to tailgate with but I'll be showing up with a sixer of Old Milwaukee.

If you are familiar with the style guidelines for 1A - 1C, strong 'interesting' flavors are considered flaws.

So, basically a light, uninteresting beer, with few flavors and bubbles? Yummmmmmm. I'd be dying to win that category.

This is not the first time Old Milwaukee has won gold. About ten years ago they won with their regular beer, not the Light.

And for all you folks that want to go and belittle that style of beer, I dare you to actually be able to brew it.

I thought the readers of this thread would find this funny.

I was at a bar last night with a friend, we were having a 26oz Union Jack IPA, which coincidentally won gold at GABF too, but in the American IPA category.

Anyways, I overhear a conversation where this guy, mind you he was drinking a bud light, was talking about this bar that had $1 beers on a certain night, but it was miller high life so it was a deal but was crappy beer. I wanted to ***** slap the guy and yell , "your drinking bud light, dumba$$, what's the f'ing difference".

Latest posts

Back