Paulaner Clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBZSTL

Reaction score
I brewed a Paulaner Hefe Clone for my second batch. My intention was to steep the grains in a grain bag. Unfortunately after cracking the grains I tossed them directly into my brew kettle. Should I rack my primary into a secondary (carboy) or is it ok to leave the brew as is in the primary? Would this be considered "unfiltered" or did I error and should I just punt?

Unfiltered is pretty much every homebrew unless you actually use a filter. Usually this is to remove yeast. I've never boiled grains, but I imagine you will have some pretty odd flavors. I never advise dumping a beer, so wait it out in the primary and when it stops fermenting, take a sip. If it's unbearable, toss it. If it's only slightly bad, bottle it and let it sit. It might work out, but I doubt it. Boiling grains causes excess tannins to be released in your beer.... not good.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Pretty much a bonehead move on my part and a waste of a lot of time. Oh well, we hopefully learn from our mistakes. Thanks for the insight. I'll give it a go on the small chance it might work.

I would definitely wait it out there probably was not that many steeping grains for a hefeweizen anyway. It will probably turn out drinkable. If it is not the best you could always add lemon or lime while drinking it to try to mask any off flavors.

My Paulener Heffe clone calls only for DME Hops and yeast... I use the recipe from Beer Captured.

I was curious about that too. Most extract Hefeweizen recipes don't call for steeping grains. Just Wheat extract, which is a mix of pils and wheat.

The recipe called for 1 cup of crushed Munich Malt. It also called for 2-3lbs of Wheat DME. I'll probably be sampling the sauce tomorrow and will update with how it tastes. Thanks for the comments.

Bottled the hefe-clone yesterday. Everything seems to be ok and the taste believe it or not is right on. Looking forward to cracking open that first bottle in a couple of weeks.

Bottled the hefe-clone yesterday. Everything seems to be ok and the taste believe it or not is right on. Looking forward to cracking open that first bottle in a couple of weeks.

Yeah 1 cup is barely anything when diluted in 5 gallons. :ban:

Cracked open the first bottled today... not good. There was zero carbonation. Any clues as to why? I am worried that enough sugar did not make it into the bottles because a good amount was stuck on the bottom of the bottling bucket like hardened wax.

Cracked open the first bottled today... not good. There was zero carbonation. Any clues as to why? I am worried that enough sugar did not make it into the bottles because a good amount was stuck on the bottom of the bottling bucket like hardened wax.

After doing some additional research and reading the "FAQ's" I realize that I am more than likely jumping the gun. Just a bit nervous because of various screw ups along the way and fully expecting a bad batch. I am going to give it some more time. I brewed on 8/14, bottled on 8/22 (too early more than likely) and opened my first bottle on 9/7. I think I'll give it another two more weeks to carb up.

PATIENCE!

That was yeast and waste by-products on the bottom of your fermenter.

How long it takes to bottle condition depends on the temperature the bottle are sitting and how much sugar you primed with.

You should never boil grains. Really...NEVER...;)

<<<<< Check out my Paulaner recipe on the left, also from Beer Captured...

Thanks for your comments. Boiling the grains was a mistake and was not done on purpose (not thinking). I believe it was the priming sugar mixture that was on the bottom of the bottling bucket. I poured the priming mixture straight from my saucepan (still hot) into the bottling bucket and I do not think it ever had a chance to mix in with the brew. After realizing this error I was afraid to add sugar because I did not know what the effect was going to be (i.e. I did not want too much sugar and have exploding bottles).

Back