Forced CO2 vs. Natural in Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheus

Reaction score
I searched this site and on google for a discussion of one way of carbonating versus the other.

From what I've found, there is no definitive answer. I read that many people prefer artificial CO2 because: a) you have the equipment you've already spent money on, and b) there's not as much sediment in the bottom of your kegs.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the issue. If there really is no difference, I'll just force carbonate it. If there are taste/flavor considerations, I'd like to hear them as I haven't seen them addressed in the resources out there thus far.

No sediment is the big plus of forced carbonation. Also, you've got a clearer beer because you're not producing extra yeast, which is a massive plus if you've invested a month lagering your beer.

IMHO, it tastes no different. The only real factor is if you want a 'real ale' (look up the CAMRA website). Like all homebrew related things, it's best to experiment.

Just remember, forced carbonation does not reduce the need for aging. Green beer is green beer.

Force carbonation also allows for better control of your carbonation levels.

Although I primarily force carbonate, I'm not going to rule out nautral carbonation for some batches. Like with most things brewing, both are skills that are important (and fun) to learn and try to master. I think most people come to an understand about which is better (for them) after trying both. Sometime you just pick one or the other because it's not always about the result but also the process.

Natural carbonation doesn't magically make a beer good, however. Bad beer is bad beer and I've tried plenty of awful cask conditioned ales. Luckily there's many more great ones :mug:

Naturally carbonated (cask-conditioned) ale is far superior to force carbed ale - if it is done correctly. And I agree with mysterio that a bad beer is always a bad beer regardless of conditioning methods.

Natural carbonation offers a mouthfeel that I don't get from force carbed beers.

question for you keg guys so I dont have to star t a new thread....

do you leave the tank opened, or just pressurize and check the pressure every now and then. Ive been doing the latter, and just repressurizing when needed

sonvolt said:
Natural carbonation offers a mouthfeel that I don't get from force carbed beers.

Science and experience (blind taste tests) state the opposite. CO2 is CO2. Same applies to Champagne.

Most commercial beers are force carbonated using CO2 that's captured during fermentation.

Chimone said:
question for you keg guys so I dont have to star t a new thread....

do you leave the tank opened, or just pressurize and check the pressure every now and then. Ive been doing the latter, and just repressurizing when needed

I guess you know it's not polite to hijack a thread. :(

Leave your tank open, you save nothing by closing the valve.

Mikey said:
Most commercial beers are force carbonated using CO2 that's captured during fermentation.

Here is a CO2 scrubber in the Point Brewery in Stevens Point WI.
Point is the 5th oldest brewery in America.

3712-IMG_9880.JPG

Mikey said:
Science and experience (blind taste tests) state the opposite. CO2 is CO2. Same applies to Champagne.

So, along this line, if at home you force carbonated from your keg into some bottles and capped them, would you get a bottle of carbonated homebrew AND not have the sediment on the bottom of the bottle? Basically like the commercial guys?

Basically, Yes. There is a little more to it in order to keep the beer form foaming, keep a good carbonation level, and keep the beer from becoming oxidized. Do a Google search for counter pressure bottle filler or beer gun.

John

mysterio said:
No sediment is the big plus of forced carbonation. Also, you've got a clearer beer because you're not producing extra yeast, which is a massive plus if you've invested a month lagering your beer.

IMHO, it tastes no different. The only real factor is if you want a 'real ale' (look up the CAMRA website). Like all homebrew related things, it's best to experiment.

The only diff I've noticed in taste is if you force carb at high presure and shale it a little to absorb quicker. The next 2 days sometimes seems to have a carboinc acid bite. But that disapears quickly. My theaory is that the co2 hasn't evenly mixed and equilized yet.

CO2 is CO2...that is correct, but there is a taste factor!

You get carbonation either way. Force carbonating is just easier and more controllable....ie... correctable.

I would never use corn sugar to carbonate. It does impart off-flavors in certain brews. I also never use Honey for the same reason. Only use malt extract to carbonate because it is what is "Natural" to the beer, so it imparts flavors that belong.

I have gotten into the habit of saving some original wort to use to prime with. It is the most natural thing to use.

Or just force carbonate and relax....

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
The only diff I've noticed in taste is if you force carb at high presure and shale it a little to absorb quicker. The next 2 days sometimes seems to have a carboinc acid bite. But that disapears quickly. My theaory is that the co2 hasn't evenly mixed and equilized yet.

I've noticed that too. I have also heard that pressurizing and depressurizing your keg a bunch of times will scrub out flavors and aromas.

Latest posts

Back