Explosion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kencarr

Reaction score
I have just read a post regarding explosive results in the brewing process. I am thinking of brewing my own beer, but can assure all that the first time I have "mop the ceiling" any investment I have made will be gone. My domestic engineer will not be happy as she doesn't even like the smell of the stuff. How likely is this to occur.:confused:

To avoid **** stains of the wall and on the ceiling, use a carboy with a blow off tube (instead of an airlock) or use a larger primary fermenter. Keep your batches to 5 gallons. You can also put a small box over the air lock to contain the mess just incase...

http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,7687.htm

After I bombed out my closet last week I decided $20 for the primary and lid would be worth it.

Heh heh... learning by experience is always good. I dont think i'll be blowing any air locks any time soon :)

not very likely at all. just keep an eye on your fermenter and add a blowoff tube. when i bottle i always cover the cases with a heavy towel in case of a bottle bomb.

thanx for the info, I am going to be a sponge for knowledge aroud here before I try to brew.

As long as you have sufficient room in your primary (using atleast a 7 gal bucket primary, like one used for making wine) to allow room foor the krausen (the stufff that forms on toop of the beer while fermenting) you should be OK.
Usuallly not an isssue unless you are doing high gravity beers. The only times I had an issue was when doing my Brroklin Black Chocolate Stout. If you keep a moistened papertowel over the hole in the lid foor the first couple of days untill things settle a bit you will be ok (just keep it on an old towel or lineolium floor incase it flows over a bit). The CO2 produced will keep nasties out of there.

I have a 6 gallon primary, would it be alright to just least half a gallon of water out of the recipe.

I'n no expert, but I don't think it's a good idea to just reduce the amount of water. It'll mess up your ratio of hops/malt extract and change your s.g. You should probably follow a recipe to make 3 gallons, or 4 gallons, or whatever size carboy you have. If you have a 5 gallon carboy, you should make a 5 gallon batch. If your primary bucket is too small, just get a bigger bucket. I got one at the local bakery (formerly had frosting in it), with a lid.

Lorena

Muntzster said:
I have a 6 gallon primary, would it be alright to just least half a gallon of water out of the recipe.

Aren't you still underage and shouldn't be asking questions on this site?:(

Back