Wort Chiller & Detachable Sink Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalorian

Reaction score
I've just started brewing a few months back and have been using an ice bath to cool my boiling pot, but I'd like to step up to an immersion wort chiller. However, my sink faucet is detachable, so I don't think I can use a regular faucet adapter like (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7141). So my question is what can I do? I live in a condo building and don't have access to an outdoor hose hook-up.

The thought of carrying a boiling wort all the way to the bathroom seems to be slightly dangerous, not to mention the possible aeration :)

Here's my faucet:
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...tem=27802&prod_num=12177&section=1&category=4

Thanks in advance for all the help!

- jason

The thought of carrying a boiling wort all the way to the bathroom seems to be slightly dangerous, not to mention the possible aeration :)

- jason

Any reason not to just run a hose from the bathroom to where the boiling hot wort is?

If your faucet has a detachable aerator (the screen thing at the bottom where the water comes out), you can use a faucet adapter. I know several of the detachable ones do.

You can take that aerator to any home improvement store and they will be able to give you basically the same part as midwest is selling if you don't want to get it shipped.

EDIT: Just noticed page 18 of the "Installation Instructions" shows a detachable aerator so you should be good.

What about the water supply to your washing machine? It might be a pain to switch out if you brew a lot but maybe you could get a splitter?

I have the same faucet and while we like it a lot I don't think you can adapt it to a chiller set up. Maybe you can split the cold water line under the sink and hook it up that way.

If your faucet has a detachable aerator (the screen thing at the bottom where the water comes out), you can use a faucet adapter. I know several of the detachable ones do.

You can take that aerator to any home improvement store and they will be able to give you basically the same part as midwest is selling if you don't want to get it shipped.

EDIT: Just noticed page 18 of the "Installation Instructions" shows a detachable aerator so you should be good.

Sorry to bring up an older post, but I'm having the same problem.

I got the adapter from my LHBS, but the problem is that the original aerator is a bit recessed, so the base of the adapter touches the sprayer before it can even start threading. (sorry if its a bit confusing)

My question is, is there some kind of extention piece that I can screw in first, and then screw in the adapter?

A picture would be good. I just spent the last four days making trips back and forth to Home Depot to get the proper sized adapter for my sink. It uses a weird 13/16" size, so I actually had to stack two adapters to get anything to connect at all.

Based on what I have found, it is extremely difficult to find anything that has the same threads as a faucet... they're pretty much unique. You may be able to find some kind of swivel adaptor that would be narrow enough to get in there, and then attach the chiller to that.

One other option worth trying would be to see if you can do something with the threads at the base of the actual sprayer handle. If you can find something that will work with that fitting, you can accomplish the same thing. Otherwise you might have to use the bathroom, which was my backup plan.

So, you are saying you need it to have male threads that are longer so that they can thread into the sprayer enough so the recessed part doesn't get in the way?

The problem with the LHBS adaptors is they are very generic. They usually have one or two different kinds. When I got mine at Home Depot, they had 10+ different kinds there. Take your aerator with you to the store and you should be able to match it up.

So, you are saying you need it to have male threads that are longer so that they can thread into the sprayer enough so the recessed part doesn't get in the way?

The problem with the LHBS adaptors is they are very generic. They usually have one or two different kinds. When I got mine at Home Depot, they had 10+ different kinds there. Take your aerator with you to the store and you should be able to match it up.

Yeah, longer male threads would help.

My aerator looks the same as anyother, but when you screw it in all the way, the aerator only sticks out 1/4 inch, instead of a full inch like on a standard faucet.

sorry I don't have any pictures though

On both of the pull out faucets I have used, the hose connects to the pullout part with a screw on fitting (1/2 inch MIP) maybe? I am able to unscrew the pullout from the end of the hose screw on a male to hard barb fitting and stick the supply tube of my ic right onto it. I couldn't tell from the diagrams if your pullout unscrews there.

So the problem with mine is that it has a raised (ribbed) area in between the faucet threads and the garden hose threads, which I guess is just a place for your pliers to grip. That raised area is what is keeping adapter from reaching the threads on the faucet. I went to home depot and found another adapter that worked, this was basically the same except that there was no raised (ribbed) portion in between the two types of threads, so I was able to screw it all the way in. Problem solved.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Back