Stuck fermentation, I need some input..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a partial mash Mackeson's XXX Stout, on 3-15-08.

6.6# Coopers Light Malt Extract
1# Choc. Malt
1.5# Black patent Malt
12oz. 80*L Crystal Malt
12oz. Lactose
2oz Kent Goldings Hops
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Citric Acid
2.5 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
Whitebread Ale Yeast - about a half gallon starter, from a washed batch or yeast

2.5 gal water to boil, added liquid extract, boiled 10 minutes
added hops - boiled 5 more minutes
removed from heat
steeped all crushed grains, in grain bag, for 10 minutes
rinsed grain bag with 2 gallons boiling water
topped up wort to 5 gallons
SG - 1.058
cooled with IC, down to 76*
pitched yeast starter

After one month in primary, gravity was down to 1.032
re-pitched another batch of the Whitebread yeast
checked gravity last night, and it's only down to ~1.030
Room temp - 68*
FG should be around 1.017 - 1.020

Here is my question, I have a batch of Old Speckled Hen, on a yeast cake of Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast. What problems would I have, if I racked the Mackeson onto that yeast cake, so it can finish fermenting ????

I'll most likely keg it, force carb it, then use a version of a beer gun to bottle it.

Thanks for your input.

1.030 is quite high, so I think racking onto the 1056 yeast cake sounds like a good idea.

Did you really only boil your hops for 5 minutes?

Was the extract pre-hopped?

The reason I ask is because I don't see any bittering hops in the recipe (boiled for 60 mins). I can tell from your signature and profile that you're no n00b. I just have not personally seen a recipe that only calls for a 5-minute hop boil before, so I'm a little surprised.

Looking at an all grain recipe, I see hop addition, and boil, for 90 minutes.

I have tried some, and didn't seem to have much bitterness to it either.

That's the plan. I figure the XXX Stout is hearty enough, that it will overpower any possible remnant flavors in the Am. Ale yeast cake. I feel that because it was only a partial mash, there shouldn't have been that much non-fermentable sugars in the wort.

At this point, I feel it can't hurt to pitch it onto the Am. Ale yeast cake, to see if it can finish fermenting. If it works, great. If it doesn't, I guess it'll be a pretty sweet beer.

Back