Edme DMS substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbbilly

Reaction score
Any suggestions on a decent substitute for Edme DMS? I can only buy from the UK online, and I live in Tennessee. I'm looking to use it in an ESB I'm doing in the next couple of weeks.

Any suggestions on a decent substitute for Edme DMS? I can only buy from the UK online, and I live in Tennessee. I'm looking to use it in an ESB I'm doing in the next couple of weeks.

Making dry malt extract has improved worldwide over the years. In my opinion you could use any manufacturers DME. Edme has quite a reputation, but comparable quality is available. Try a local homebrew shop or go online to Northern Brewer or Midwest. Norther Brewer posts their ingredients. Take a look at one of their ESB recipes for the type of DME used.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the info...however, I am wanting to stay with a malt syrup if I can. I have found BreissSweet White Sorghum Syrup online, but I'm not sure if this would be a fair substitute. Until this point all of my beers have been UME or HME partial grain brews. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the info...however, I am wanting to stay with a malt syrup if I can. I have found BreissSweet White Sorghum Syrup online, but I'm not sure if this would be a fair substitute. Until this point all of my beers have been UME or HME partial grain brews. Any ideas?

When you wrote DMS I thought it was a typo and you meant DME. White Sorghum Syrup is an entirely different Liquid Malt Extract. Go to the Northern Brewer site and look at the descriptions for the LME they offer.

Take a look at their recipes for ESPs'. The entire recipe and ingredients are under the Additional Information tab.

Use any light dried (DME) or liquid (LME) from any manufacturer. All are pretty good these days. Light = Light, Extra-light, Pale, Pilsner, Golden, or anything similar.

I don't know what your recipe calls for, but you can substitute one for the other. 1 lb LME = 1.25 lbs DME.

Sorghum is a different grain than the standard barley malt, and will give a very different taste.

Back