American IPA Bee Cave Brewery IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of Vanilla Ice explaining the difference between his song intro and Under Pressure.... I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Every beer is different, even if you use the same ingredients. I modeled mine after the Stone clone for my tastes. If brewmasters warehouse wants to sell ingredients based on that recipe and group for easier ordering, who am I to say to do different. Loads of members have their own haus ale after tweaking my recipe. It's all good IMO if you are brewing beer that you drink.

Ed, just wondering your feelings on doing the hop bill with Northern Brewer and Cascade, and what amoutns and times you would consider? Cheers!

Just ordered a bunch of hops, and got enough to do this recipe. I am unsure on when i want to brew it. I may want it ready to drink by spring time.

You better get to brewing! This beer can age 6 weeks to 2 months easy.
If it's drinkable by summer time, it wont bother me.

edit: It will also be my first try at dry hopping, so I am tossing around ideas on how exactly i want to do it. Maybe the mesh ball idea in the primary once the ferment starts to slow down.

All I have to say is EdWort is the MAN!!!

I just got done carbing this one and am enjoying this one tonight!!! Mine only came out at 68 IBU's because of the AA's being a little lower in the hops. It was only my second all grain and I lost a little temp in the mash so my FG wound up at 1.008 which made the ABV 6.9%.....Which is AOK by me!! It's only three weeks old and tastes a little malty but is not thin at all even though the FG is a bit low!!! It's young but tastes very good. Sure it will even be better if I can leave it alone!!!! :mug:

Thanks again,
Shawn

My efficiency and hops brought this to 6.9% and 83 IBU. It took 15 weeks of aging to mellow the bitterness (partly due to an error in water treatment on my part) but it was worth it!
20081020_IPA.JPG

I'm not sure why this one doesn't want to clear at all for me but I can forgive it that. It isn't really as hazy as the picture makes it out to be, I can see my fingers through the glass but just barely.

I am just about to order this recipe and I have a Dry Hopping question.
Are you leaving it in the primary for 10 days, racking to a keg to Dry Hop at room temperature for 7-10 more days?
The temps here can go from 28 to 70 at night this time of year. Just curious whats the best temp range for Dry Hopping in the keg.

I gotta give Edwort a toast. I am drinking the Haus Pale Ale and got the Rye IPA in the primary. Brewing the IPA next for the Hat Trick.....

Cheers!

This is one of my best beers to date. Between this, the Oflannigain standard, my winter brown, and Jamil's ESB, it is becoming impossible to pick a favorite.

Christ... Thanks Ed... Now I dont know which to BREW FIRST!!!
It was originally going to be the Pale Ale, but this looks too tasty to pass up.

Decisions decisions!
-Me

Hey Ed, I am creating a recipe inspired by yours (and inspired by what I have in stock).

Using galena to bitter (should this be FWH to get flavor as well? I don't know the flavor of Galena). I have the centennial so that'll be awesome.

I know Vienna and Munich both add some maltiness, will it be a bad change to use Vienna malt instead?

I'm also thinking of adding a half lb of crystal 20 I have to help sweeten it up some to battle the high IBUs.

Are you sure of your mash temps? 154 as mentioned should leave some body, but if you were lower it may have been more fermentable. Hows it taste?

My mash temp did drop a little bit over the 90 minutes... I havent tasted any yet, i took the FG and dry hopped today.

I'm going to try this with Columbus, since my LHBS didn't have Warrior. They didn't have US-05 either. I've got a vial of California and some Notty. Which do you recommend?

Brewed this w/ 1.5oz. magnum fwh as bittering addition and cascade in = amts for the rest. og 1.062 fg 1.010. Fermented @ 62F
It has just become bottle carbed and is delicious.I can't believe a beer this green can taste this good.I have whats left of a SNPA torpedo 6er in the fridge and for me this is much more tasty.Thanks for a great simple recipe.:mug:

I did this today with Columbus for bittering and California Ale yeast.
I hit 154 immediately and it stayed between 153-154 the entire 90 minutes in my Coleman Xtreme 70 qt with 169-170 strike water.

I misread what I wrote down for my 1st runnings, so I wound up collecting more water than called for in my second, third, fourth runnings. I wound up with 7 gallons. After a 90 minute boil, on my stove, I had ~5.5 gallons. So maybe it was a blessing that I didn't collect only 6.5 gallons.

I hit 89% efficiency based on (36 * 11, 37 * 1, 34 * .75) = 458.5 / 7 = 1.065 max gravity divided by 1.058 actually pre boil gravity)

After the 90 minute boil, I ended up with 1.068. It's in the basement waiting to kick off.. (my starter didn't start in time, so I guess I'll have some lag)...

I ordered the ingredients to do this again, and this time I was able to get warrior 18.4%. I plan to add it at 45min to keep the IBUs in style.

I debated using amarillo again because it came out so good, and it is flowing crystal clear now btw. I sent it to NHC, and I'll post my results here. I don't expect it to win, I made a few mistakes like mucking up the water treatment and leaving the dry hop in for like 6 weeks. I figured I'd give the warrior a shot this time to taste it how it was originally designed.

My recent variation of this used California WLP001 and has been at 1.016 (from 1.068) since Wednesday (1 week after brew, 6 days after visible and volitile fermentation).

With the Cali yeast, does this sound like its done doing it's thing? Normally I don't care about making stuff sit around in the primary. I've been doing 10-14 day primaries lately. But I've also had a streak of bad luck (sloppy care) of recent batches getting infected and whatnot. This one had a crazy fermentation, to the point of where it blew the airlock lid off and filled the airlock with trub/yeast/whatever 3 or 4 times during the heaviest. So my carboy is pretty messy right now. I tried to spot clean it with some vodka, it's still a mess. I'd like to get this over into a secondary as soon as I can/should. Ed, I know your recipe says it finishes at 1.016, but that was with US05. What about the Cali? I'm thinking I'd like to move this Saturday or Sunday. Any reason why I should not?

I'm going to brew a double batch (11 gallons) of this on Thursday night. I've brewed two double batches of the Haus Pale Ale and have been getting rave reviews. This will definately be the biggest double batch I've done with my equipment so far. Can I Mash It? estimates that the mash will take up 10.01 gallons, so I'm just going to fill up my 10 gallon igloo to the rim and see what happens. Should be interesting!

A few questions though. First, I've never rehydrated dry yeast. Can you give some guidance on how to go about doing that? Second, I don't keg, so I'm planning to rack to secondary after 14 days and dry hop at around 68 to 72f. How long would you suggest dry hopping? Third, I'm using hop pellets for the dry hopping. Would you put them in hop bags or just throw them in?

I can't wait to brew this one as it'll be my first IPA! Thanks for the recipe.

My brother and I brewed 11 gallons last night. Man, talk about pushing our 10 gallon igloo to the limit, but we got through it and had an amazing efficiency of 79%! This is our third all grain and as we dial in the process our efficiencies have been steadily increasing (70%, 73% and 79%). Due to the high efficiency, our OG is 1.067 and I hope this will not negatively impact the final result. Also, with the absolutely full mashtun, preheating and insulated lid, we lost less than 1 degree f during a 90 minute mash (154.4 to 153.8). I tasted the sample and it's good, but man is it hoppy!

I still have the questions from two posts up about dry hopping if someone will chime in. Thanks!

My brother and I brewed 11 gallons last night. Man, talk about pushing our 10 gallon igloo to the limit, but we got through it and had an amazing efficiency of 79%! This is our third all grain and as we dial in the process our efficiencies have been steadily increasing (70%, 73% and 79%). Due to the high efficiency, our OG is 1.067 and I hope this will not negatively impact the final result. Also, with the absolutely full mashtun, preheating and insulated lid, we lost less than 1 degree f during a 90 minute mash (154.4 to 153.8). I tasted the sample and it's good, but man is it hoppy!

I still have the questions from two posts up about dry hopping if someone will chime in. Thanks!

I just threw them in my 2ndry(pellets) for 7 days before I bottled.Most broke up and sank but some were floating mush at the top.I figure if I do it again I will just break them up a little before putting them in so they will all be sunk at bottling.

Alot of posts here saying to let it age, but i disagree now. I feel the hop aroma and the bite is best when the beer is 3-4 weeks in bottle. It's excellent.

Transferred our 11 gallon batch to secondary and added dry hops today at lunch. It has been in the primary 11 days and the gravity was 1.007 in one carboy and 1.009 in the other. A little drier than expected and hitting about 85% attenuation based on the 1.067 OG. 7.9% ABV too! I tasted the sample and it tastes pretty good and actually still has a good bit of body and mouth feel even with the dry finish. I'm excited about this one.

My friend wants to brew with me this weekend so we're gonna brew a variation of this, using Amarillo in place of centennial.

My next batch is going to be this recipe. My Mom's going in for surgery in a couple weeks, and I thought I would brew this in honor of her and It would be something we both can enjoy when she recovers. I talked with her yesterday about what kind of beer I should do for my next brew and she likes a good IPA (which I do too!).

I've been looking for a good IPA recipe and it sounds like this is a winner. Any thoughts on substititing Columbus for the Warrior? What is the AA% on the Warrior, btw?

Back