A great simple recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richlong8020 said:
Sticking to the original recipe of 5 gal apple juice, 2 cans apple con, 24 oz lt brn sugar, cinnamon and Cote De Blanc yeast... What's the ABV? Is it at the 8-10% range.

I've never used the Cote De Blanc yeast so I can't answer that for you. In the original recipe I used Wyeast cider yeast.

I did something similar to this, just tapped this weekend and Bazzzinga it is awesome....and idiot proof!

3 gallons tree top apple cider
2 gallons tree top apple juice
2lbs light brown sugar
4 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1 packet ec1118

I dumped 4 gallons of the juice into my sanitized primary, warmed remaining gallon in sanitized pot enough to dissolve sugar and nutrient then dumped that in. Sprinkled yeast on top. Had airlock activity 12 hours later. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary then racked to keg with 2.5 teaspoons potassium sorbate dissolved in a few tablespoons of distilled water. Added 3 cans frozen apple juice concentrate. Closed keg, purged O2, gave a shake to combine concentrate and cider then left on 10psi for 2 weeks. Simply awesome! Tastes like a slightly less sweet version of Angry Orchard cider. All my friends love it but you can't taste any of the almost 7% alcohol in it, be very carefule when drinking it!

I did something similar to this, just tapped this weekend and Bazzzinga it is awesome....and idiot proof!

2lbs light brown sugar
1 packet ec1118

I dumped 4 gallons of the juice into my sanitized primary, warmed remaining gallon in sanitized pot enough to dissolve sugar and nutrient then dumped that in. Sprinkled yeast on top. Had airlock activity 12 hours later. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary then racked to keg with 2.5 teaspoons potassium sorbate dissolved in a few tablespoons of distilled water. Added 3 cans frozen apple juice concentrate. Closed keg, purged O2, gave a shake to combine concentrate and cider then left on 10psi for 2 weeks. Simply awesome! Tastes like a slightly less sweet version of Angry Orchard cider. All my friends love it but you can't taste any of the almost 7% alcohol in it, be very carefule when drinking it!

Hey do u have any gravity readings on this. Seriously thinking about making this.. Thanks in advance

SG 1.060 FG 1.005. Don't think, just do. I have another batch going and seriously can't keep this on tap longer than 2 weeks per batch. Each gallon of juice(I can only speak for tree top) came in at 1.50 even. EC-1118 works pretty darn fast and drops out to a clear cider equally fast. Never used Montrachet, but I'm a 100% believer in 1118. Used that yeast to do a hard Lemonade I just kegged tonight as well.

SG 1.060 FG 1.005. Don't think, just do. I have another batch going and seriously can't keep this on tap longer than 2 weeks per batch. Each gallon of juice(I can only speak for tree top) came in at 1.50 even. EC-1118 works pretty darn fast and drops out to a clear cider equally fast. Never used Montrachet, but I'm a 100% believer in 1118. Used that yeast to do a hard Lemonade I just kegged tonight as well.

I agree , just do it. Started on this recipe now bottling a apple berry variation and its a knockout!!! Weighs in at 9.5% , its a sweet cider panty dropper

Hey guys! I'm fairly new to homebrewing. I got my equipment for Christmas and I've brewed two extract kits already.

I really had no idea what I wanted to do next when I had the idea to do a cider. So I started searching for a good recipe and reading all about it. Found this forum and specifically this thread, I am so excited!

I just put a half batch of this together (I wanted to try it out before putting twice the money into the juice to make sure it comes out well ). My LHBS doesn't carry Wyeast and recommended English Cider Yeast. My SG came in at 1.060, so I can't wait to let this baby ferment out and throw cinnamon sticks in later!

Can I add k sorbate before I backsweeten and bottle this? Id rather have it as a still cider. Is that how that works?

2lbs light brown sugar
1 packet ec1118

Would the 3 cans of frozen AJ backsweeten and work as yeast food for bottle conditioning?

Would the 3 cans of frozen AJ backsweeten and work as yeast food for bottle conditioning?

I have basically the same question. I am prepared to backsweeten, prime and bottle this OP's recipe. I've had 4.5 gallons sitting in my secondary for 7 weeks of what I hope to be along the dry/sweet lines of Angry Orchard's Crisp Apple only with an ABV kick. I would like to up the sweetness a bit and carb and pasteurize stove top.

My question is can I use 2 cans of Apple Juice Concentrate to backsweeten PLUS the 3/4 cup corn sugar to 2 cups of water to prime? Or should I ONLY rely on one or the other to make a nice fizzy delicious bottle as opposed to bottle bombs?

I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!

So I made this same recipe but used
raspberry-apple concentrate
cote de blanc yeast
3 weeks in primary
Currently in secondary for 5 days with 24 ounces of frozen raspberries
OG was 1.070 and before secondary it was 1.014 and pretty tart. We will see what this becomes in the next few weeks after I keg it on Sunday. I hope the tartness subsides a bit or I may have to sweeten it up a little.

^^
When i put it in the fridge to cold crash it, my hydrometer reading was 1.004, making this about 8.5%ish ABV and dry. I put some potassium sorbate in it and back sweetened with 1 can of AJ concentrate. Still a bit tart but just that little bit takes the tart kick down quite a bit.

Overall, strong, semi-dry, semi-tart and the raspberry flavor definitely came through. So far, I like it. We will see what happens after its been kegged and carbed after awhile.

Getting ready to make this today. Going to toss in blueberries when I rack it to the secondary. I figured with the blueberries I should hold off on the cinnamon sticks. Thoughts?

Yeah I think you should avoid the cinnamon stick(s). I half'd this recipe to give it a try and followed the OP's instructions exactly and I thought the cinnamon flavor came through sort of strong. I think racking it with blueberries sounds like it could be tasty! Let me know how it comes out!

I once tried a cider along time ago. It turned out terrible...but I was young, dumb, and hasn't really researched it much. This is my first attempt since then. It's been fermenting for about 4 days now. Still have some steady bubbling on top of the cider...I like carboys simply cause I can watch it.

Just racked this in to a secondary on top 40 oz of blueberries. The cider itself was awesome and can't wait to try it with the blueberry.

Hello I'm new to this forum as of right now this very second!
I make the Apple Pie Moonshine and I make in a large batch about 2.5 gallons at a time.
I'm now looking to make Blueberry Pie Moonshine so if any of you have AWESOME recipes you wouldn't mind sharing I would greatly appreciate it.
I've also had people as me for Raspberry, I guess someone had a lemon drop one that tasted just like the lemon drop candy?
That would great.

Or any other recipes that are similar to the Apple Pie Moonshine Shots.

Thank you!

Tried a sample of it today after taking a gravity reading. Gravity at 1.009 at 69 degrees. Right now it tastes more like a sweet blush wine but it is incredibly young. Going to bottle next weekend and then let it age for awhile

Just threw this into a 5 gallon carboy 2 days ago. This is my first cider. My OG was closer to 1.080. Maybe Costco upped the sugars in the juice.

I've got a good amount of bubbles in the blow off. But there is no krausen.

My questions:
1 - is a lack of krausen normal with ciders? I don't see any mold and it's fermenting in a tub at 66 degrees.
2 - can Nottingham yeast take that high of an alcohol content? Seems like it

Thanks all.

Just finished another cider!

3 gallons Tree Top apple juice
2 Gallons Tree Top Apple Cider
1 LB corn sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg EC-1118

Put all of that into primary, combined well, let sit for 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary. Then into keg with 1.5 Tbsp Potassium Sorbate. Chilled overnight. Following day added 2.5 cans frozen Old Orchard Berry Blend(found at Walmart). Carbed in keg for a week, and viola! Raspberry apple Cider!! Tastes phenomenal and made it for right about $21.00! I can't stress how awesome this tastes! And so easy!

Just finished another cider!

3 gallons Tree Top apple juice
2 Gallons Tree Top Apple Cider
1 LB corn sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg EC-1118

Put all of that into primary, combined well, let sit for 2 weeks primary, 1 week secondary. Then into keg with 1.5 Tbsp Potassium Sorbate. Chilled overnight. Following day added 2.5 cans frozen Old Orchard Berry Blend(found at Walmart). Carbed in keg for a week, and viola! Raspberry apple Cider!! Tastes phenomenal and made it for right about $21.00! I can't stress how awesome this tastes! And so easy!

Does it have a "winey" aftertaste?

Just bottled up my cider after sitting with blueberries for about 2 1/2 weeks. Tastes young but good at this point. It will carb up and age now.

Funny story...found out I didn't have enough caps while bottling. Ended up with 45 12 oz bottles and 4 22 oz flip tops. Decided to drink a bit and then just dumped the rest.

Ostomo517 said:
Does it have a "winey" aftertaste?

Coming out of secondary it did a little but that goes away after a week or so in the keg. I let all my ciders and beers carb for 2 weeks before tapping the keg anyway. EC-1118 is a good yeast like that.

millsbrew said:
Just threw this into a 5 gallon carboy 2 days ago. This is my first cider. My OG was closer to 1.080. Maybe Costco upped the sugars in the juice.

I've got a good amount of bubbles in the blow off. But there is no krausen.

My questions:
1 - is a lack of krausen normal with ciders? I don't see any mold and it's fermenting in a tub at 66 degrees.
2 - can Nottingham yeast take that high of an alcohol content? Seems like it

Thanks all.

1.080? Wow, what juice were you using? Most commercial juices top out at 1.050(translation: I wanna buy some:) ). Lack of krausen is normal. Ocadsionally I'll get just a tiny thin layer of foam but more often than not I just get airlock activity. Nottingham should be able to eat a 1.080, may take a while though. If it gets stuck or won't get down to where you want it, throw in a package of EC-1118, that'll finish it off. A little yeast nutrient never hurts either ;)

1.080? Wow, what juice were you using? Most commercial juices top out at 1.050(translation: I wanna buy some:) ). Lack of krausen is normal. Ocadsionally I'll get just a tiny thin layer of foam but more often than not I just get airlock activity. Nottingham should be able to eat a 1.080, may take a while though. If it gets stuck or won't get down to where you want it, throw in a package of EC-1118, that'll finish it off. A little yeast nutrient never hurts either ;)

Thanks for the reply. I used 4 gallons of Costco brand natural apple juice with the 2 pounds of sugar. It's still fermenting away like mad. I plan to give it 3 weeks in the primary before checking SG again. Thanks for the tip on adding EC-1118 or some yeast nutrient. Hopefully they won't be necessary.

I still have a good amount of bubbles going in my blow off after 3.5 weeks. Is it worth adding more yeast or some yeast nutrients? I was also thinking of adding pectic to clear it. I don't have a thief so it is not easy to test SG at this time.

Thanks in advance.

Use a baister. You know one of those things you use to keep your sunday roast nice and moist.
Works for me and there cheap.
:)
Or just chuck the hydrometer into the mix.

Just FYI...I varied the recipe a bit. Added a third can on concentrate for more apple taste and put blueberries in the secondary instead of cinnamon sticks. Turned out awesome. My bro in law(brew partner) really liked it and he hates ciders.

On a side note it will sneak up on you FAST.

I am new to cider and will be trying this recipe this weekend. My question is if I follow the original recipe (below) and want to keg it should I use a campden tab to kill yeast before I back sweeten it? Also should I add this before or after I add the cinnamon sticks? I am thinking of trying to use a combination of concentrate and a little honey to back sweeten. I will then keg and carbonate I just don't want to kick off fermentation again in the keg. Any advice is appreciated thanks!

5 gal apple juice - local super market has organic stuff on sale this weekend
2 can concentrate
24 oz light Brown sugar
wyeast- I have 4021 their cider yeast
1-2 cinnamon sticks- in secondary

I am new to cider and will be trying this recipe this weekend. My question is if I follow the original recipe (below) and want to keg it should I use a campden tab to kill yeast before I back sweeten it? Also should I add this before or after I add the cinnamon sticks? I am thinking of trying to use a combination of concentrate and a little honey to back sweeten. I will then keg and carbonate I just don't want to kick off fermentation again in the keg. Any advice is appreciated Thanks!

After fermentation was complete, I cold crashed for 24 hours, then used potassium sorbate to stop new fermentation, then backsweeten after that. Good luck!

Ok so I tried this recipe:

5 gal apple juice (two different brands)
2 lb light brown sugar
2 Cote des Blanc yeast (no starter, just sprinkled)

O.G. 1055
F.G .955
Primary for 2 weeks, then added 4 cinnamon sticks
Secondary for 2 weeks

Added 3 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate with Potassium Sorbate
Kegged the same day, and purged with CO2, then shook it.

Let it carb for 10 days.

Tastes great although it's a little too sweet. I probably could have gotten away with 2 cans of concentrate. The cinnamon level is perfect with a great smell and mellow taste. If I had to put a brand to this, it's a sweeter angry orchard. Great recipe which will be a good addition for football season.

Make sure there's no preservatives or pottasium sorbate in the bottled cider. Also, I wouldn't put the cinnamon in at the beginning of the secondary. Put it in about a week before you bottle/keg. I used 5 sticks and, to me, it had a nice cinnamon flavor.

No PS only applies if you are bottling withe carbonation correct? Not a problem with still cider, correct?

Going to make this again today. This time sticking with the cinnamon from the original recipe instead of the blueberry

Pit this together last nice. Added a third can of concentrate and 2 pounds brown sugar instead of 1 1/2 pounds. Also used Nottingham. OG 1.075. It's 24 hours later and have an almost constant bubbling in the airlock.

No PS only applies if you are bottling withe carbonation correct? Not a problem with still cider, correct?

By bottled cider, I meant pre-fermentation, off the shelf, jugs of cider. If it has any kind of preservative in it, there's a really good chance it won't ferment. Sorry I didn't make that real clear.

As far as still cider goes, if your cider is really dry, I dont think it matters if you use PS or not. If there's still some sugars left, theres always a chance it could carbonate a bit. PS just stops any new fermentation from starting. So if you plan to back sweeten when you bottle, even if you want uncarbonated cider, I would still add PS, just so it doesn't have a chance to start fermentation back up.

Just so I'm clear, it sounds like if you're just carbonating you don't need to pasteurize, but if you're backsweetening then you do? Is there a good way to tell if you need to? I'm thinking crack one open after a couple days and if it's super carbonated then pasteurize. Is that wrong?

So I've made this 3 times now and I just love the flavor, and high alcohol.

5 gallons apple juice (pasteurized)
2 cans of apple juice concentrate
24 oz of light brown sugar
Wyeast cider yeast
1-2 cinnamon sticks

I melt the sugar into the concentrate and bring it up to 180 degrees. Dump the juice and the sugar/concentrate into the fermenter. Stir it all together, top with the yeast. Usual o.g.-1.070. Usual f.g.- 1.002. Transfer to a secondary, a week before I keg I drop in the cinnamon sticks. A week later I transfer to a keg. Carb it up and enjoy!

Edit: I've used UV pasteurized from a cider mill and the Costco unfiltered "natural" cider, both came out great.

I'm assuming you cool the sugar/concentrate before adding it to the fermenter, right? Also, does cider need to be shaken/aerated like beer before you pitch the yeast?

Just so I'm clear, it sounds like if you're just carbonating you don't need to pasteurize, but if you're backsweetening then you do? Is there a good way to tell if you need to? I'm thinking crack one open after a couple days and if it's super carbonated then pasteurize. Is that wrong?

If your back sweetening you definately should pasturize. If you want it dry and just adding sugar to carb like a regular beer no need to

Back