Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
I forgot to buy Priming sugar. And I am not sure if I need to? I have heard that I can use Corn syrup, Brown sugar or Molasses. Is that true? that should add a little extra flavor, won't it?

Thank
mike

Yes any of those will work as priming sugar. Make sure you measure your priming sugar carefully as to not overcarb and wind up with bottle bombs.

Here's a pic of what my beer app recommends for priming at 65F to 2.5volumes of co2.

image-4251327422.jpg

I agree with Thakaz; just use table sugar. As stated earlier, however, note the difference in calculation. You shouldn't notice much of a difference, but it may take just a little longer as sucrose is a sugar molecule that needs to first be broken down into fructose and glucose before it can be fermented by the remaining yeast. Dextrose is pretty much the same thing as glucose and is 100 percent fermentable while sucrose must first have the molecular chains broken down by the yeast. Either way you'll be fine provided you measure the correct amount.

If you use brown sugar or demerara (raw cane) sugar,use the talbe sugar amount in the priming calculators. But they won't do much more than add a little to the flavor complexity,since not much is being used to prime.

Back