My wort was too hot :s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francoeura22

Reaction score
So yesterday as i was finishing my brew ( British pale ale ) i got an emergency call. My problem is my wort temperature was at 85 and i got to pitch the yeast !! Is That really bad ?? What should i do now ??

So yesterday as i was finishing my brew ( British pale ale ) i got an emergency call. My problem is my wort temperature was at 85 and i got to pitch the yeast !! Is That really bad ?? What should i do now ??

So you did or did not pitch the yeast? You're probably okay pitching at 85, but might get some off flavors. If I had to pitch that warm, I would probably try to leave it in the cool garage overnight to try to get closer to mid 60s. People say that yeast can stand temps below 100°F, so you should be okay.

Just in case the situation should arise again, look up no chill brewing. Pitching later or the next day can be okay if sanitation precautions are taken.

jmcquesten said:
So you did or did not pitch the yeast? You're probably okay pitching at 85, but might get some off flavors. If I had to pitch that warm, I would probably try to leave it in the cool garage overnight to try to get closer to mid 60s. People say that yeast can stand temps below 100°F, so you should be okay.

I Did. What do you mean by off flavors ?? Will it be drinkable ?

Your beer will be fine, just keep it at about 66-68 degrees during fermentation. You pitched at a high temp, but the temp u pitched at was not that extreme, as long as you don't pitch in triple digits. I pitch at 70 degrees usually, you probably won't notice any off favors at all, if you even get any. Relax, drink a beer and watch fermentation take place.

Pitching at 85 degrees will make fermentation commence quicker, by tomorrow in the AM you should see plenty of action in your airlock.

francoeura22 said:
I Did. What do you mean by off flavors ?? Will it be drinkable ?

It will definitely be drinkable. Yeast type matters a lot too; British strains are less forgiving of higher temps while American ale strains can stay neutral to a higher temp. The first 24 hours of fermentation especially the lag/growth phase are when most of the esters are produced. If it cooled down into the 60-70's within 12 hours it's probably fine. If not, any wacky tasting esters will age out, worst case. In either case you'll have beer. In the future don't feel rushed. You would have been fine putting the lid on the kettle and taking care of your business. Beer doesn't get infected too easily.

What yeast was it? Danstar Windsor yeast recommends a ~90' F re-hydration temperature (but it ferments at 64-70). You should be fine if you cooled it down for fermentation.

What yeast was it? Danstar Windsor yeast recommends a ~90' F re-hydration temperature (but it ferments at 64-70). You should be fine if you cooled it down for fermentation.

Danstar is owned by Lallemand, who also makes Lavlin yeasts for wine. They recommend 101-104F for rehydration on EC-1118, IIRC. The Danstar Nottingham in my hand says 86-92F.

Edit: Yep, I remembered EC-1118 correctly. [url="http://www.lalvinyeast.com/images/library/EC1118_Yeast.pdf]This data sheet[/url] says 40C (104F).

Best of luck, OP!

Probably fine, in the future it would probably be better to let your wort sit and then reboil it for 5-10 minutes ...assuming you could get back to it within 24 hours...if your not gonna see it for 24+ hours then what you did is the best action.

Back