where to buy apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Living in Boulder, CO and the wife wants me to make some cider, i do beer.

Are there any places to buy fresh pressed juice? or is there a grocery store that sells juice without preservatives.

Thanks

The fresh pressed juice is usually available at a cider mill that is close to apple orchards. Do they grow apples any where near you? Santa Cruz brand apple juice is good and widely available. There's got to be some hippie grocery stores there in Boulder too. They will often bring in gallons of apple juice during the harvest season.

One caveat is that I have not made really excellent hard cider from apple juice that is blended to drink sweet. It comes out somewhat bland. I thought I didn't like hard cider until I started blending. You could try adding some chopped apples such as granny smith jonathan or pippen to the cider for tartness, and some mcintosh for aroma. You can put them in a coarse mesh fruit bag to get them out later more easily. Also I found that adding grape tannin puts some zest into hard cider. Just some thoughts.

Thanks. There a lot of super organic stores in town. I remember looking at one of these score before and the cost same excessive. I guess its time for another look.

Thanks for the thoughts on other additions.

First recommendation would be to get cider from local orchards. I think pickyourown.com is a good resource for finding local orchards as well.

I also sometimes will get my cider in the gallon glass bottles (Whole Foods and Fresh Market sell these). I like this because I can reuse the bottles to make 1 gallon experimental or pilot batches of beer and wine.

Thanks for the resources. I started a batch with store bought cider on the weekend. Will try and find a local ish orchard that has a press. I'm not ready to invest in one just yet. There is a pick ur own pretty close

You can try Sprouts or Whole Foods. I use an organic juice from Sprouts called Sun Harvest; comes in a one call glass jar. I tried some of the local orchards in Longmont but they wanted 10 dollars for half a gallon. There is a company in Loveland that sells Cherry and Raspberry juice, no preservatives and makes a nice hard cider.

I'm all about local but dont want to pay a fortune. Just learned that I can rent a press and that some kind folks post free apples on Craig's list. There are a ton of apple trees in town. Let me know if u want to share cost of renting an apple press. Think it is 25 per day.

Back