Brew pot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berger

Reaction score
Hey, what size brew pot should a newbie start with? Would a SS 9gal pot be ok for a 5 gal. full boil batch. If I started to do all grain down the road, would that do? I noticed a 9 gal pot from adventures in home brewing? Any opinion on that brew pot? I am looking into this hobby of home brewing. Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,
Berger

A 9 gal pot is more than enough room for a 5gal extract batch and, I would say, a safe bet for a comparable sized all grain batch. You could always scale the recipe down slightly to fit your system. I started with a 7.5gal pot for extract and it was perfect.

9g would be great for 99.9% of the all-grain 5g batch recipes you'll make. I had 8g and it was close boiling at times, but I made it out ok.

If you use a turkey frier burner, then go for the 9 Gal, otherwise it may be a little big on the stove , and you'll only need to boil 2.5- 3 gallons for extract. It's tough to get more than that to boil on an electric stove. I think I have a 5 gallon ss pot? plenty big for now. I got it for free, so it was an easy decision :)

9 gallons would be great.

Most extract recipes are "partial boil." That means you only boil part of the water and then add the rest at the end. You can get away with a 5 gallon pot for that method.

If you want to do a full boil, you'll need to start out with around 7 gallons. That will fit easily in a 9 gallon pot with enough room for stirring and boiling.

Thanks for the info. I do have a turkey fryer. I would not use the 30qt alum pot, I would think I would get off flavors from the oil.

cheers,
berger

Latest posts

Back