wlp005 (1187) vs wlp002 (1968)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used both yeasts in the same recipe with the same hopping.

1968 is quite fruity and has a sweet character. It certain allows the malt to come through and make for a balanced beer as long as the hops are there in a big way.

1187 is less fruity, but still adds a unique quality to the beer; Wyeast calls it 'estery'. It makes for a beer with a drier maltiness and the hops come through really well.

I'm a big fan of both.

I find that 005 gives a slightly drier beer, slight "mineral" ester, and compliments English malts in a very nice way. I prefer it to 002.

I have not done a side-by-side, but I have used both and know that for milds and E.brown ales I like the 005.

Not in the same beer but at the same time. I like 002 more, it's got a sweeter frutier taste. Although in my case the beer with 002 attenuated 75% and the 005 only hit 65% and that's with gentle swirling several times a day throughout fermentation. So far uncarbed it tastes a little mineraly and earthy. I wouldn't call it fruity at all, but the hops/malt combo I used might push it more to the earthy side.

I spent an hour trying to wash the 005 and just said **** it. I have never dealt with a bigger pain the ass. No matter what I did or how many step downs in container size I just could not get a respectable amount of yeast, it settled at about the same speed as the hops and trubs so it's all mixed together.

I spent an hour trying to wash the 005 and just said **** it. I have never dealt with a bigger pain the ass. No matter what I did or how many step downs in container size I just could not get a respectable amount of yeast, it settled at about the same speed as the hops and trubs so it's all mixed together.

yes, 005 does not flocc out as hard and fast as 002. I have had success re-pitching it for several generations however.

Top cropping is practically required with wlp005 to get a clean repitch. Wlp002 also works great.

I'm late to this party, but I have a Mild in two carboys right now, one with 002 and the other with 005. I find the 002 much fruitier and much more flocculent.

Both were fermented with 1 qt starters, new yeast from the vial. Both started in the mid 60s in glass carboys, then brought to room temp (low-mid 70s) to make room for a lager in my fermentation cooler.

002 seems slower to reduce the diacetyl, in fact I don't think I tasted diacetyl in the 005, but my taste threshold for diacetyl isn't all that low.

Plan on kegging today. If I have anything to add, I'll let you know in a few days

Back