Belgian Witbier smells like bananas in the ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
I bought a standard witbier kit from NB using the suggested wyeast 3944 yeast. I know that sometimes bananas is an acceptable feature of these beers but I open my fermentation cabinet and WHEW bananas all over the place. I used a starter and got my pitch rates pretty close. The bucket stayed at room temp over night untill i saw activity in the morning and put it in the cooler which I noticed a day later was way to cold (55 degrees). Am I overworried here?

Don't smell it then....;)

Belgian yeast tends to give off all matter of aromas during fermentation. It doesn't really matter at this point, your beer has a loooooong journey to go on before it's drinnkable. And fermentation is often ugly and stinky, when it's perfectly normal.

Generally speaking if something is coming out the airlock, it's not staying in the beer anyway.

I actually love the smell but I was just worried because I've heard bananas called an off flavor, but that's good advice from both of you. Thank you very much!

When I smell bananas on a wit ferm I know it's doing what I want which is producing the clove/spice notes I want in a wit. I've been pushing WL400 to it's limits fermenting in the mid 80's just to get these notes, but may switch to WL300 because it says it produces these notes naturally.

Yeah I have read that's it's sort of an either or with bananas if you ferment colder and cloves of you ferment higher, trouble is I've never really picked these flavors out in a commercial beer so I'm not sure which one I want...

Back