How many batches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got two batches going at once. A Bohemian Pilsner and Edworts Apfelwein. I'm pretty new to homebrewing and was wondering how many batches have you guys had going at once? I'm thinking on doing another batch soon,but there's atleast 6 or 7 beers that i want to make. How many is too many?

I normally have 3 batches of Apfelwein going at all times, plus 2 beers. The Apfelwein does not require much work till kegging time. I can only ferment 10 gallons at the moment in my freezer.

Right now:

Flanders Red
Kriek
Mo' Betta Bretta Clone
House RAPA
Apricot Berlinner Weisse
Pumkin Winter Warmer
Abbey Normal Barley Wine
~ RR Suplication Clone
Lambic

These are all fermenting now, some are 2-2.5 gallon batches though, they're not
all 5 gallon, and none are 10gal. If I've got room, I want something in a vessel.

I guess it would depend on how many drinkers you have at your house and how much you want to share. I have three fermentors going. Two for beer and one for Edwort's Apple. I have only been brewing since April so I am trying to brew a bunch so I can have a variety. Since beer improves with a little age, it is easier to be patient if you have a lot. I have about 30 gallons bottled and aged and ready to drink, and more in the pipeline.

I have ten gallons in primaries, ten gallons in secondary, and ten in kegs that haven't been carbed up yet.

always have one batch of apfelwien.
No beer at the moment
1 gallon of Ancient Orange Mead
1 gallon Pera/Apple wine

2- 5 gallon batches of New England Hard Cider
2- 5 gallon batches of Apfelwein
1- 1 gallon batch of Apple Rumbullion
1- 1 gallon batch of Wild Berry Apple Wine

it was 3 batches of Apfelwein, but I just bottled last week... I'm trying to schedule the apfelwein for a 5 gallon batch being done every 2 weeks...

I have 3 x 6.5 gal carboys, and 4x5 gal carboys. I guess technically I have a 6-gal plastic bucket that I could use, but reason steps in the way. I usually keep one 5gal open as a secondary, but have been know to have epic days of shuffling batches from one carboy to another to bottling, etc (one particular sunday where every single batch was racked to another carboy comes to mind).

I see your problem though. There's more styles than I want to brew than I can actually drink. I have a good 150+ bottles sitting in some stage of maturing/conditioning/drinking. The only thing that's prevented me from kegging is that I know it's only downhill from there... :drunk:

I've had 7 going at one time, but I hope to up that over the winter since I can lager (I have 24 carboys and 25 cornies I can fill) out in the garage.

At present I have 2 kegs on tap, 8 kegs in the keezer, 1 keg waiting (at room temp), 1 brew in a carboy and 2 in primaries...:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I've had 7 going at one time, but I hope to up that over the winter since I can lager (I have 24 carboys and 25 cornies I can fill) out in the garage.

At present I have 2 kegs on tap, 8 kegs in the keezer, 1 keg waiting (at room temp), 1 brew in a carboy and 2 in primaries...:D

Hey homebrew_99, Budweiser called. They want their factory back. :mug:

I have 4 in kegs, 3 in fermenters and 1 in bottles, so I keep about 40 gallons on me at all times, going to do some apfelwein this week that will put me at 45gallons worth of containers with beer/apfelwein in them.

Back