Starting my electric build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakesz28

Reaction score
It starts with a keg as the boil kettle. I will be putting a stainless pot in my rubber maid 10 gal cooler. Plan on a RIMS for the mash tun and a 5500 watt element in the boil kettle.

photobucket-5272-1331595003853.jpg

Do you realize how nasty a keg can get after a few years?

photobucket-1686-1331596317038.jpg

My buffing pad gave up about the same time as my back.

photobucket-7244-1331596346540.jpg

More to come.

Got the top cut. Used a piece of rope as the guide and a grinder.

photobucket-1507-1331769785097.jpg

But I had to stop for a drink and dinner. This is a lme power porter carbed with dme.

photobucket-4446-1331769814734.jpg

photobucket-5593-1332006636972.jpg

photobucket-1470-1332006663906.jpg

photobucket-2156-1332006723685.jpg

photobucket-7048-1332006793720.jpg

photobucket-5279-1332006833196.jpg

Well after I cut the treaded part off. I cut a slit up the side of the liner and I was able to pull the liner out. Then I used a sanding disc on my grinder and a saw blade to carve some of the foam out. Test fitted the pot as I went. Then I cut the handles off. I marked where I wanted my fittings. I then used a hole saw to cut the plastic. I pushed the pot in transfered the hole positions. I will tig weld the couplings in the pot and my keg on Monday.

I think I will do a couple batches before I buy the pumps and every thing else to finish this build. So at first it may be a 3 tier then I plan to use my rod iron 55 gallon aquarium stand to make a single level system.

Very cool idea. It looks nice and clean. One question; will you weld the fittings in with the pot inside the cooler? If not, how will you assemble once the fittings are protruding from the sides? Keep up the good work!

I'm going to pull the ss pot out and weld couplers on with the body of the coupler inside the pot, and even or flush to the out side of the pot. So I will have to use a longer nipple to attach the valve and other fittings. I think I may use a food grade silicone around the top of the pot and to hold some PVC around the insulation. If I can raise the temp high enough its going to be a two pot system.

Im glad that you like the mash tun idea and are putting it together for such a awesome build. Keep the pics coming man.

Im glad that you like the mash tun idea and are putting it together for such a awesome build. Keep the pics coming man.

I'm glad a saw your mash tun build. I bought two coolers but wasn't real happy about using plastic. Another plus is the slightly larger diameter of the ss pot. I'm tempted to buy another ss pot for the hlt tank. But I'm going to try to take tap water to strike temp with the rims.

Stoked! Just used my "new" ss lined MLT yesterday and I didn't even loose a 1/2 degree over a one hour mash! This thing rocks:mug: Jakesz28, your build looks pretty nice. Thanks for the pics. I think I'd eventually like to RIMS my system too.

photobucket-3374-1332285169026.jpg

photobucket-3367-1332285197215.jpg

Got the fittings fig welded today at work. Still have to clean it up. But I had to side it in and see how they lined up. Got the fittings welded in the keg too.

The 44 quart. I think the part number was 1044.

I also just ordered ss cam lock fittings for it.

I travel for work so much, that I haven't brewed any beer for a while. I finally dusted this off and I'm going to try my first all grain batch. Will update with pics. Still have to order a rims tube and build a panel.

I ordered a stout tanks rims tube on Monday. Can't wait to get it. I plan on starting the electric panel soon. I have 2 ssr's getting contractor's today. Need to order the aubern pid temp controllers.

Do you have a build thread for your motorized corona mill? What kind of motor is that (HP, RPM, etc)? Did you just attach it straight to the mill without any kind of RPM reducer?

Also love the idea of the ss pot inside the cooler. Gonna have to bookmark this thread for when I upgrade in the future (getting ready to start BIAB AG).

I can look up the specs on that motor but it is a gear reduction motor. I think it has an output of 90rpm. That was a free score like that. It was missing the couple so I only have $6 in it.

Cool, thanks. I've got a 1/2 HP 1725 rpm motor (for free), but I don't like the idea of spending almost $100 buying pulleys, a belt, and all the couplings I would need. I guess I'll just plan on using the drill method for now...

I need to update this. I have not used the rims yet but I'm boiling my first batch in over a year with an electric element in a keg. Using pulse width modulation and a ssr to control the 220 volts to the element.

Back