New Mill - How To Set Gap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
My SWMBO got me the Millars barley mill for Christmas and I have a couple of questions:

1. How do I set the gap? I know about 1mm is good, but how can I tell? I hear you can use a feeler gauge. Just go until the knurls touch it?

2. There is a gap on one side of one of the rollers. I am thinking whole grains are going to fall through without being cracked on the side. Do I need to address it?

Here's a pic. Any info appreciated.

Not sure why it's saving the last one upside down.....you get the idea

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

if the knurls touch i would consider that too tight. stick a credit card in the gap and try that. condition your malt before milling.

It should be pre-gapped, I would check it with feeler guages to be sure. I speak American so you would want .035 to .039 to start, I believe barley crushers come at .039(mine was set at .037). If grains do escape by the roller sides that's a defect and should be addressed by the mfg.

Should have bought a Rebel Brewer mill.;)

-

Use feeler gauge. Stick the gauge in, adjust the roller until it just barely touches the gauge and lock down that side of the roller... go do the other side and do the same (assuming there are adjustments on both sides of the roller). I keep mine at .035" and seems to work well for me (~85-87% efficiency with a fly sparge).

I believe barley crushers come at .039(mine was set at .037). If grains do escape by the roller sides that's a defect and should be addressed by the mfg.

Should have bought a Rebel Brewer mill.;)

It doesn't appear to be from the makers of Barley Crusher but rather another company.

Rev.

eastoak said:
if the knurls touch i would consider that too tight. stick a credit card in the gap and try that. condition your malt before milling.

Eastoak, what do you mean by "condition your malt"?

Eastoak, what do you mean by "condition your malt"?

i put my grain bill in a tall plastic kitchen garbage can then spray with water while mixing it around with my hand. when it starts to feel leathery i stop and let it sit for 10 min then mill. it keeps the husks intact while the endosperm is crushed. you will notice the volume of crushed grain will be greater than unconditioned grain. you can set your mill tighter than you normally could. be careful not to over wet the grain, it will gum up the rollers.

BTW....here's the response I got when I email ed the manufacturer....we'll see...

I would not worry about the gap. Go ahead and try it and see what you
think. We have sold many units and we have tested it very well with no
problems.
Best
Todd

BTW....here's the response I got when I email ed the manufacturer....we'll see...

I would not worry about the gap. Go ahead and try it and see what you
think. We have sold many units and we have tested it very well with no
problems.
Best
Todd

I got the same gap problem on one side of the millar's mill and it didn't work with a drill as good as the video. I'm beginning to think I made a mistake buying this mill.

I got the same gap problem on one side of the millar's mill and it didn't work with a drill as good as the video. I'm beginning to think I made a mistake buying this mill.
Now I'm sure I made a mistake ! Don't buy that mill !!! I set it with a feeler gauge the lowest I could and I still find unmilled grain. When I turn the rolls, I can see the gap widen and shorten !!! Since I have it my efficiency droped 20 %.
Don't buy that **** !!!

Back