Heatstick Wiring Dummy Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin123

Reaction score
I bought all the stuff for a 1500w 120v heatstick today. My original plan was to buy an extension cord and cut the female end off--but the 12 gauge wire ones were too damn expensive. The Home Depot guy recommended Romex SIMpull type NM-B 12/2 indoor wire. I bought 15 feet of the stuff not knowing how stiff it is. I am not pleased.

Can I make a shorter cord (maybe 1 to 1.5 feet) that hangs off the end of the heatstick, and then use it with an extension cord? I will connect the extension cord to a GFCI outlet.

Other than making electromagnets in grade school, wiring a bunch of lights, and replacing a few light switches, I know nothing about electricity.

I'm sealing it similarly to Gritsaks method. I have built a boat, so at least I’m comfortable with epoxy and silicone. It might not heat up, but at least it will be watertight!

Thanks for any help/advice!
---Ben

Never, ever listen to anyone at Home Depot/Menards/Lowes, etc. Nothing but a bunch of idiots.

If you are going to make your own cord, get some 12-3 SO cord. It will probably be about the same price as the extension cord, but will be much more durable.

Bernie, Thank you! This is what I am learning!

The problem is I got excited and glued it to the element (I now fall into the idiot category--I need to remember "post before gluing").

Should I buy a new element and start over, or will the extension cord solution suffice?

benjamin123 said:
Bernie, Thank you! This is what I am learning!

The problem is I got excited and glued it to the element (I now fall into the idiot category--I need to remember "post before gluing").

Should I buy a new element and start over, or will the extension cord solution suffice?

Bump

FWIW I would start over, you may be able to save the element, try and crack off the jb weld, or better yet is to heat the jb weld over the stove or torch or perhaps even w/ a lighter and it can be removed...it should crumble or at least get soft as you warm it up...it will likely come off. You want either an extension cord or rubber type coated "stranded" copper wire. What you have is solid copper wire that is used for home wiring in the walls. While not ideal at all, it would likely work with the wire you have...but solid core wire is not for appliances and might break from being bent constantly. I have reused elements befor by removing the JB Weld...it is not as permanent as you might think.

Having an additional plug connection is not a great idea IMHO.

Back