Light Ale Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I'm wanting to try to brew up a light tasting ale that those who drink Bud Light and the like will enjoy. This is a 2 gal recipe:

1.25 lbs of light DME (flameout)
13 oz rice DME
0.25 lbs carapils
0.075 oz Centennial (10%) @ 60 mins
WLP 001

2* SRM
9.5 IBU's
4.8% ABV

How much rice DME can I use without getting it too out of whack?

I am using minimal ingredients that I'm sharing with a hoppy pale ale (2 gal), and so I've chosen those hops because the majority will be used for it.

I assume that the small amount of Centennial used only at 60 mins will not impart too much of the citrusy flavors.

I was afraid it was too much. Trying to make it all work w/o any leftovers.
I had noticed MoreBeer's version used 4 lbs of LME and 2 lbs of rice DME, which I figured was over 33%. I was hoping I would get close enough with 1.25 lbs DME and 1/4 lb of carapils to 3/4 lbs of rice DME.

I was afraid it was too much. Trying to make it all work w/o any leftovers.
I had noticed MoreBeer's version used 4 lbs of LME and 2 lbs of rice DME, which I figured was over 33%. I was hoping I would get close enough with 1.25 lbs DME and 1/4 lb of carapils to 3/4 lbs of rice DME.

I think you'd be okay as is, i just think I would prefer it top have 20% rice. 40% would be the highest I would go with rice, so you're still under that.

Well, it's only 18 beers, and I'll doubtfully drink more than one! :D

Only one way to know...

If it were me, I'd probably add a little bit of citrusy flavor or aroma hops, a small amount somewhere between 5-30 minutes. I've found that a lof of people I know who are BMC-type drinkers actually like the taste of american citrus hops when used moderately and when the beer isn't bitter. You may also want to consider a little bit of honey to compliment the beer. Just my two pennies.

I've given these people (3 of them) my blonde, which was ~15 IBU's with a bittering, flavoring, and aromatic addition and it took them all quite a while to drink their 6 oz serving (had several for them to try, of which they all had only 2).
The hops was likely Liberty though.
So I figured I'd try something else.
The guys who have tried that same beer asked if they could buy some or if I'd brew them some. The one who propositioned me didn't care much when I said I'd help him do it, and gave him the list of expenses.

Back