priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary1966

Reaction score
I've brewed some woodfords nogg beer and wonder how much priming sugar to add to my pint bottles? Should I dissolve it first. Don't want it too gassy OK thanks

don't add it to the bottles.

boil your sugar in a cup of water, and add it to the bottling bucket. then rack the beer into it and let it all mix.

then bottle from the bottling bucket.

will yield a much better result, and not nearly as messy.

I think it's a good idea to gently stir it after racking to get it well mixed. I give it 100 stirs, including some vertical blending - because I feel like the sugar concentration could be stratified.

I've brewed some woodfords nogg beer and wonder how much priming sugar to add to my pint bottles? Should I dissolve it first. Don't want it too gassy OK thanks

I am racking from fermenter to bottling bucket with sugar boiled in water and added to bucket. I usually don't stir it in any way, just bend the cane so it pours in edge of bucket creating slow whirlpool.

To determine how much sugar to add:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I've bottled my woodfords nogg beer with priming sugar. I've put the bottles in a warm place. About 18 degrees c. How long should I leave them? Thanks

I've bottled my woodfords nogg beer with priming sugar. I've put the bottles in a warm place. About 18 degrees c. How long should I leave them? Thanks

I usually check one after a week, and they're almost always fully carbed, but they won't taste the best then. For a beer like that i'd wait at least two weeks, if not a month, before bothering to drink any. There's more to bottle conditioning than mere carbonation.

I ended up getting a 1/2" siphon which really gets that stuff swirling! I'm not so concerned with it not mixing well. It seems to do well enough.

18C is 64.4F - that's cooler than normal for bottle conditioning. Revvy's thread about conditioning calls for at least 3 weeks at 70F - my experience matches this. At 18C it would take longer, but I don't know how long. I've been giving mine an extra 2 weeks during the winter months to allow for being cooler.

You can read more about bottling and conditioning in the thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Back