GF Belgian with great reviews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GFgray

Reaction score
Ok, I've been experimenting with brewing since I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance.... I'm still waiting on the test to see if Celiac or not... so my only experience with brewing is for gluten free beer. my first beer was an all sorghum extract beer. I've done a number of 1 gallon batches with sweet potato, millet, and quinoa. my last beer came out great I think... but I'm not a beer snob, ive never met a beer i didn't like.

Today I took it to the local brew shop to share with the owner and a friend of mine who does AG brewing and cracked a 22 oz bottle there. They were very impressed and my AG brew partner asked for the recepie. But then a stranger to me walked in and the owner shared some with him and he said it was very nice... thinking it was a barley beer. He about flipped when he found out it was gluten free beer and he just came from the Tacoma Craft Beer Festival.

Here's what I did:

3.5 lbs of Sorghum extract
1 lb of dark Belgian candy syrup
1 lb of dextrose
1 oz ea. corriander, bitter orange peel, and sweet orange peel steeped for 15 min and added at 30
Irish moss at 15

boiled it in 5.5 gal of water and hopped as follows:
1 oz Crystal at 60
.5 oz saiz at 20
.5 oz crystal at 20
.5 oz Crystal at flameout

I was going to dry hop it with .5 oz saiz but forgot to put that in.

ABV measured at 5.5 but I'm a little doubtful of the accuracy. the OG was 1.042 @ 80and FG 1.002 @ 70. Color was a nice rich amber with a good head that lasts quite a while.

Ok, I've been experimenting with brewing since I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance.... I'm still waiting on the test to see if Celiac or not... so my only experience with brewing is for gluten free beer. my first beer was an all sorghum extract beer. I've done a number of 1 gallon batches with sweet potato, millet, and quinoa. my last beer came out great I think... but I'm not a beer snob, ive never met a beer i didn't like.

Today I took it to the local brew shop to share with the owner and a friend of mine who does AG brewing and cracked a 22 oz bottle there. They were very impressed and my AG brew partner asked for the recepie. But then a stranger to me walked in and the owner shared some with him and he said it was very nice... thinking it was a barley beer. He about flipped when he found out it was gluten free beer and he just came from the Tacoma Craft Beer Festival.

Here's what I did:

3.5 lbs of Sorghum extract
1 lb of dark Belgian candy syrup
1 lb of dextrose
1 oz ea. corriander, bitter orange peel, and sweet orange peel steeped for 15 min and added at 30
Irish moss at 15

boiled it in 5.5 gal of water and hopped as follows:
1 oz Crystal at 60
.5 oz saiz at 20
.5 oz crystal at 20
.5 oz Crystal at flameout

I was going to dry hop it with .5 oz saiz but forgot to put that in.

ABV measured at 5.5 but I'm a little doubtful of the accuracy. the OG was 1.042 @ 80and FG 1.002 @ 70. Color was a nice rich amber with a good head that lasts quite a while.

Sounds good...any pics?

I use something pretty similar with different hops for my Witless and Belgian Pale Ale.

I'll get the yeast info tomorrow, and post a pic next time I crack one.... I better hurry, only two 22oz'ers left!

Here's a pic or two of them

image-1390746486.jpg

image-4023364592.jpg

A better one .....

image-1410630228.jpg

After I poured the last of the 22 oz bottle in. So a little haze from the bottom of the bottle, but it still tastes great!

image-1849618019.jpg

One more after I poured in the rest of the 22oz bottle. A little haze but still tastes great!

Looks great Grey. I have decided to use this recipe for my first attempt at homebrew and had a question. Is the dextrose added to the wort or added before bottling as a priming sugar. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer but thought I might as well ask. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Made his for my first attempt tonight! Thanks for the recipe. I got the same OG so that seems like a good start. I used Safale S04 for the yeast.

I think that is the yeast... I still need to go to MASH to get it. It was a Belgian yeast and dry in a pink package if I remember right. I just tried to do an zero sorghum stout, but it came out more like a porter. Tasts good but still not dark enough.

Finally cracked these earlier this week. Result is pretty good. I did dry hop with the Saaz in the secondary and I think it is coming through. The beer is something close to an IPA with lots of hops, but you definitely get the floral notes from the Hallertau and the orange/coriander combination. I am not getting much head, but I think I was a little lean on priming sugar, as well as straining the beer at each rack. Is it possible to remove enough material to limit carbonation or would the yeast eat any sugar regardless? I think it was a good first experience and I learned a lot. I wanted to ask you guys what your procedure is for a 5-6 gallon batch. How much do you boil? I boiled it all which really made cooling difficult. Next time I am thinking about doing a 3 gallon boil and adding to 2 gallons of chilled water? Lastly, what is a good source for BRS? My local brew shop can only order it in a 6000lb quantity ;).

T-58 is it. I went and got some more.... The head took at least 3 weeks to develop. I was disappointed at two weeks but at three the beer was totally different. ( by that I mean better)

Back