It's Over! (for now)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I've made the horribly, painful decission to stop brewing for a while. I'm in the desert southwest, and I don't have temp control for fermenting. I've been using a swamp cooler, but now that temps are reaching the mid 90's I'm having trouble maintaining proper temps. Even with ice bottles, by the time I get home from work the temps are a few degrees higher than I would like. I'm going to save my pennies for a couple months so I can get a chest freezer and temp control. After I bottle my Irish Red, the buckets will remain dry :(

I'm checking craigslist everyday! Hopefully it won't be long. Maybe I can consider this as a good time for upgrades. I also recently finally scored a couple cornies, so I need to find me a fridge to turn into a kegerator, as well...

Keep an eye on craigslist for good deals on chest freezers o fridges, I got two for $100 each. Then you need external thermostats too....

Also how about brewing some belgians, a dubbel, dark strong, or saison will be good up to 82-84F with the right yeast strain.

Sorry to hear about that my friend. Save the spare change and start searching CL. You'll be back up and brewing in no time.

BTW, if you ever head out to central CA, give me a call, would love to have a brewday with you! There's at least one other homebrewer in this town and we could all get together, bbq, brew and talk about beer!

Hang in there man, fall is only 4-5 months away.

Keep an eye on craigslist for good deals on chest freezers o fridges, I got two for $100 each. Then you need external thermostats too....

Also how about brewing some belgians,a dubbel, dark strong, or saison will be good up to 82-84F with the right yeast strain.

I have considered a saison, but I don't have much experience with hot fermentation. I guess there's no better time than the present for learning to brew a new style!

Man are you sure? I brewed in 110 degree weather last summer, and in a good ice chest with frozen gallon jugs of Crystal Geyser twice a day I kept it in the lower 60s. It's not nearly the desert here, but I can't see not brewing. Make a Saison.

Sorry to hear about that my friend. Save the spare change and start searching CL. You'll be back up and brewing in no time.

BTW, if you ever head out to central CA, give me a call, would love to have a brewday with you! There's at least one other homebrewer in this town and we could all get together, bbq, brew and talk about beer!

Hang in there man, fall is only 4-5 months away.

Thanks Buddy! It's just a speedbump! It would be great to brew with you some time! Maybe someday I can take a road trip over there!

Man are you sure? I brewed in 110 degree weather last summer, and in a good ice chest with frozen gallon jugs of Crystal Geyser twice a day I kept it in the lower 60s. It's not nearly the desert here, but I can't see not brewing. Make a Saison.

Maybe using an ice chest is the trick. I'm using a rubbermaid tub and my temp is 62 when I leave in the morning and 65-67 when I get home. Maybe that's not so bad, but I'm used to keeping things more consistant. I add 3 or 4 bottles of ice every morning. I'm worried if I add more than that the temp will fluctuate to low and then high again...

Stauffbier said:
Maybe using an ice chest is the trick.

an ice chest is the trick. I used a Rubbermaid tub for awhile until I saw Yoopers water bath build. Hers is tricked out with a custom fit foam lid that has clearance for the top of the carboy. I just used the idea for an ice chest and saw a HUGE improvement. You might want to try it. Like I said, I'm not where you are. But after doing this I decided it was all the temp control I need for the time being.

an ice chest is the trick. I used a Rubbermaid tub for awhile until I saw Yoopers water bath build. Hers is tricked out with a custom fit foam lid that has clearance for the top of the carboy. I just used the idea for an ice chest and saw a HUGE improvement. You might want to try it. Like I said, I'm not where you are. But after doing this I decided it was all the temp control I need for the time being.

Hmmm, I'll have to look into that!

keep looking i found a 5.5cf freezer and it set unplugged for 2 months then got a Johnson controller. Temp control is well worth it.
BTW Dan are you volunteering me for another brew day? Sounds good.

keep looking i found a 5.5cf freezer and it set unplugged for 2 months then got a Johnson controller. Temp control is well worth it.
BTW Dan are you volunteering me for another brew day? Sounds good.
How many buckets/carboys can you fit in a 5.5cf?

Good on you for investing in your setup, that's also what I am doing at the minute and it all pays back in spades. Keep an eye out and when that great deal comes along you will have enough left over to brew that perfect beer you have been dreaming of ;)

you should check and see if there a habitat for humanity re-store where you are. I found a 7 something cf there for $50. Im always seeing fridges here where I am. good luck.

Good on you for investing in your setup, that's also what I am doing at the minute and it all pays back in spades. Keep an eye out and when that great deal comes along you will have enough left over to brew that perfect beer you have been dreaming of ;)
This is my thinking exactly. It's not like I don't have 250 bottles of homebrew! Half of which are aging for a few more months. So, the supply won't be suffering or anything.
you should check and see if there a habitat for humanity re-store where you are. I found a 7 something cf there for $50. Im always seeing fridges here where I am. good luck.
We do indeed have Habitat for Humanity. I'll look into that!

try wine for a while. a lot of wine yeasts can go in the 80-90 range.

embrace the 10-18% purple:D
I have indeed made wine. I'm just not a big wine drinker, per se... I have some Apfelwein and Hard Chai Tea aging at the moment..

I am making this as soon as things warm up a bit more here in Denver. Can't wait. My basement is still a steady 65F, but the house is just about warm enough. Rye is awesome and the spicy flavor it imparts just seems like it will be incredible in a Saison.

I am thinking about starting it in the basement and then bringing it into the house mid way through fermentation to get the esters going.

Back