First Timer here - Does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caprica

Reaction score
Is this green mossy stuff just hops residue? Or is my batch infected?

Thanks in advance

ym46A.jpg

You are totally screwed.....that thing is infected for sure.

No seriously though, it's fine.

Wow. That's a heck of a lot of pellet mush going into fermentation. Not that there's anything bad about that, but if the yeast is just now kicking you might give some thought about using a wide blow-off tube before that mush clogs up your lock and blows it sky high...

Cheers!

It looks very healthy to me. No worries except as day trippr said, you might need a blow off tube. How far into fermentation is it?

I bet your airlock smells AMAZING. Drooling right now. You've inspired me. Time to crack open an IPA.

I just used the little hops packet that came with the kit, so 1oz (True Brew Amber Ale Ingredient Kit | Home Brewing Supplies from Monster Brew). I dumped them in after the malt extracts were dissolved into the wort, however the recipe did not call to strain them, so i didn't. The level of the krouser(sp?) hasn't really risen past what it is in the picture, however ill keep an eye out for it in case i need a blow off valve. In the first 24 hours I observed about 2 bubbles in the airlock per second. Now I'm seeing about 1 every 4 seconds. Is this fermentation going to be done soon?

Anyway, it does smell amazing. I cant wait to drink it!

Thanks for all the responses/help.

cheers,
Cap

Krausen ( the foam ) is a combination of hops, protein and yeast. Do not try to disturb it as it will fall on it's own. Reintroducing those hop and protein will cause bitter off flavor at this point. In the future keep in mind the Krausen can be green brown reddish tan off white etc. Discoloration is not an indicator if infection.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

if you have a blow off tube and all that krausen comes out wouldn't that effect the taste of beer or would the beer taste the same as if the krausen stayed in the fermenter?

Could be infected. The only way to tell for sure is to proceed normally and when bottled ship them all to me for evaluation. BURP!

Don't listen to these guys. That batch is infected!

You should send it to me for proper disposal. (Just make sure you let it finish fermenting and bottle it up first, otherwise the EPA might get you!)

images

Back