Recommendations - Best Comprehensive Equipment Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_FL

Reaction score
So I have dabbled in brewing in the past with friends and Mr. Beer etc. and have spent the last few months reading, researching, and planning. Now I am inclined to jump in with both feet. When it comes to buying gear I tend to be one of those people that like to do things the right way the first time rather then upgrading something in the near future.

Therefore I am looking for recommendations on comprehensive equipment kit, if the kit comes with a kettle I am looking for minimum of 8 gal + immersion chiller so I can jump straight into full boils. Will stick with extract and mini-mash as first though.

I have been leaning towards the morebeer.com deluxe kit but am open to suggestions.

I am also inclined to buy supplies in bulk so any suggestions on hops and mini-mash grains would certainly be appreciated as well. I already know I will lily get 50 lb bag of light DME.

Thanks in advance

It is not an easy question to answer without more details:

* do you plan on brewing 10gallon batches ?
* you say you want to purchase the right things now, but as you may have seen on the forum, some peolpe keep it simple with BIAB, or a simple bucket/carboy as fermenter. Some other people go way further with a brew sculpture, a conical fermenter, etc.
A $15 bucket and a pot will make beer. A blinchmann pot and a conical will also make beer.
* Do you want to bottle or keg ?

Anyway, some good starter kits are available from most suppliers. For gears like that, I tend to prefer midwest supplies.

Have fun purchasing your first kit!

So I have dabbled in brewing in the past with friends and Mr. Beer etc. and have spent the last few months reading, researching, and planning. Now I am inclined to jump in with both feet. When it comes to buying gear I tend to be one of those people that like to do things the right way the first time rather then upgrading something in the near future.

Therefore I am looking for recommendations on comprehensive equipment kit, if the kit comes with a kettle I am looking for minimum of 8 gal + immersion chiller so I can jump straight into full boils. Will stick with extract and mini-mash as first though.

I have been leaning towards the morebeer.com deluxe kit but am open to suggestions.

I am also inclined to buy supplies in bulk so any suggestions on hops and mini-mash grains would certainly be appreciated as well. I already know I will lily get 50 lb bag of light DME.

Thanks in advance

"I don't like to upgrade things."

Well...I suggest you find a different hobby, then.

the morebeer kits look very well though out. I assume the fermenter is a 6 gallon better bottle. Morebeer is a very good company.

You can buy hops in bulk on the internet. I get them by the pound from hops direct. I'd suggest you invest in a food saver to package the hops and keep them fresh.

More beer has amazing prices on LME. Basically they give you the bulk price for any quantity over 5 lbs.

Buy your yeast. steeping grains and other stuff locally. It's good to support the LHBS and the yeast does not ship well.

If it were me doing it again I would get the more beer kit with a keg. One thing you will find is equipment and process are subject to individual preferences which you will develop as you get more into brewing. But I don't see anything in the morebeer kit that wont be useful, even in a 10gal all grain setup.

Oh and buy local when possible, the lhbs is your best friend in brewing keep them afloat.

It is not an easy question to answer without more details:

* do you plan on brewing 10gallon batches ?
* you say you want to purchase the right things now, but as you may have seen on the forum, some peolpe keep it simple with BIAB, or a simple bucket/carboy as fermenter. Some other people go way further with a brew sculpture, a conical fermenter, etc.
A $15 bucket and a pot will make beer. A blinchmann pot and a conical will also make beer.
* Do you want to bottle or keg ?

Anyway, some good starter kits are available from most suppliers. For gears like that, I tend to prefer midwest supplies.

Have fun purchasing your first kit!

Thanks. I am not thinking 10 gal batches right now but it if the right kettle came along I could be convinced. At this point I am planning to start with bottling as I like to have multiple beers available to choose from but could see transition to bottle/keg mix in the future. For fermentation I will likely start with bucket carboy route.

I know I will upgrade overtime but want to make sure I don't go our and spend $40 buckets now when spending a little bit more would have gotten something that would be more useful.

Thanks to all for the input.

Thanks for the input. I am generally looking for the type of gear in that morebeer kit and was just wondering if anyone else had come across a gear kit they felt was really good. Most seem pretty much the same. This one stood out to me b/c it came with a large kettle and the immersion chiller.

If you don't want to be upgrading your pot in a year, then I suggest a 15G pot. If you ever want to do a 10G batch you can, if you ever want to go all grain (10G batch) you can. Which pot and which set up depends on your budget. I like Megapot (BK) and blichmann (MT) a lot.

As for the rest, I prefer glass 6.5G fermenters for 5g batches of beer (usually no need for blow off hose). you will want the largest sized auto-siphon as well.

IC is a great addition. However you can build a 50 1/2 inch IC for about $90 that will cool down a double batch of brew in 12-15 minutes. If you go with the 3/8, then up to double batches... you might find your self wanting to upgrade to 1/2''

If you don't want to be upgrading your pot in a year, then I suggest a 15G pot. If you ever want to do a 10G batch you can, if you ever want to go all grain you can. Which pot and set up depends on your budget.

As for the rest, I prefer glass 6.5G fermenters for 5g batches of beer (usually no need for blow off hose). you will want the largest sized auto-siphon as well.

IC is a great addition. However you can build a 50 1/2 inch IC for about $90 that will cool down a double batch of brew in 12-15 minutes. If you go with the 3/8, then up to double batches... you might find your self wanting to upgrade to 1/2''

I would only spend big money on a 15 gallon pot if you expect to upgrade to 10 gallon batches rather quickly. Most brewers stick with the standard 5 gallon batches for a while. So I think the morebeer kit makes more sense.

6.5 gallons is a great size for fermenters but I really don't like glass. It's heavy and fragile. I much prefer the plastic better bottles. If only they were slightly larger they would be perfect.

The 1/2" chiller is similar to the 15 gallon pot. Unless your gonna go to 10 gallon batches, the 3/8" will work fine. And with the more beer kit, you can be sure it will fit nicely in the pot. Some of the 50' x 1/2" models may not even fit in an 8 gallon pot.

I'd spend my money on fermentation temp control and stuff to make yeast starters WAY before I went all grain or 10 gallon batches. Fermentation is where great beer is made. Master the ferment and you will be a beer brewing god.:rockin:

Back