11 1/2" false bottom big enough for MLT keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewFoSho

Reaction score
Hey guys, couldn't really find the answer to this. How many people are using an 11 1/2" diameter Stainless false bottom? Is there a huge difference between that and the 13 3/4" false bottom with hinges? Well I see one huge difference.... PRICE! I have a burner under my Mash Tun and will recirculate if necessary (probably more so in the winter). Will I have trouble with the 11 1/2"?

You want the false bottom to be the same width as the ID of the keg or it is pointless. You'd have grains falling around the edges and going under the false bottom, thus negating the point of have a false bottom. Same principal applies to sludge if using it for a boil kettle.

You want the false bottom to be the same width as the ID of the keg or it is pointless. You'd have grains falling around the edges and going under the false bottom, thus negating the point of have a false bottom. Same principal applies to sludge if using it for a boil kettle.

With the bottom of the keggle being angled in the smaller one will also be touching all the way around? Just not as big of a surface area correct?

With the bottom of the keggle being angled in the smaller one will also be touching all the way around? Just not as big of a surface area correct?

I suppose that's true, but you need to look at how tall the feet (if any) are and how far the dip tube would stick below the FB. Compare tat all to where the smaller size would sit in the keg. I think it's be best to buy the one size for the vessel you're buying it for. IMO

I suppose that's true, but you need to look at how tall the feet (if any) are and how far the dip tube would stick below the FB. Compare tat all to where the smaller size would sit in the keg. I think it's be best to buy the one size for the vessel you're buying it for. IMO

Yeah, I'm looking at the ones from Climaxhomebrew. They seem to have the best price. There are no legs on it so if anything there would be less "dead" space which I would think would be better. I can't imagine the grain channeling too much just because it's an 1 1/2" less around the edges? It's either $24 for the 11 1/2" or like $70 for the 14 3/4

Aak him how much space is left under the false bottom. Or just measure out 11.5" diameter across the bottom of the keg and see how low on the slope that puts it. As long as you have some room under it you'd be fine.

I think it would depend on what your burner and it's flame output looks like. If you have a lot of heat hitting the bottom outer edges, you might have some scorching concerns. If not, I think a 12" is fine. My FB is 15.5" diameter and it takes 7/8ths of a gallon to reach it. This is NOT dead space though. I don't think there's a name for it so I'm going to coin it "idle space". Dead space is how much liquid is left after a full draining. With an appropriate dip tube, it should be less than a cup.

I think it would depend on what your burner and it's flame output looks like. If you have a lot of heat hitting the bottom outer edges, you might have some scorching concerns. If not, I think a 12" is fine. My FB is 15.5" diameter and it takes 7/8ths of a gallon to reach it. This is NOT dead space though. I don't think there's a name for it so I'm going to coin it "idle space". Dead space is how much liquid is left after a full draining. With an appropriate dip tube, it should be less than a cup.

Yeah , you're right. It's not dead space, I misspoke. I have a banjo burner that I'm converting to NG. I totally see what you're saying. I hope I could turn down my burner enough ? Now I really don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the bigger one.

Yeah , you're right. It's not dead space, I misspoke. I have a banjo burner that I'm converting to NG. I totally see what you're saying. I hope I could turn down my burner enough ? Now I really don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the bigger one.

What did you do to convert to NG? Winter killed my garage time 90% of the way through my RIMS build. Started second in basement. Just need burners. Please help.

I brazed the brass Propane orifice into the 1/4" to 1/2" brass adapter ( I may be wrong on the sizes ) so that I could go directly to black gas pipe . Then all I did was drill out the propane orifice bigger. I really don't remember what size drill bit I used but I went off one of the conversion charts you can google. Worked perfect. and cost about 50 cents.

Back