Just found out I'm going to be a DAD!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuelshopMcgee

Reaction score
Just found out this weekend that im going to be a 1st time Dad in about 9 months! Im glad everything worked as planned...we wanted to get pregnant so off birth control for 2 weeks and bam...done and done...

I just brewed up a batch of my now named Daddys Dunkelweizen this weekend to celebrate!

The sad thing is that my wife loves beer and she is going to miss out on all the yummy brews that im making...

With that said I need some help from you guys *which is why I posted in this forum as opposed to the general chit chat* I want to put a recipe together for something that would benefit from sitting and fermenting for 9 or more months that my wife would enjoy...kind of like a celebration kind of deal...

Does anyone have any recipes or ideas for something tastey that has a LONG fermentation period?

Well, you won't find a beer with a long fermentation period. A lot of beer must be aged for a good while before consumed. I just brewed a ~9% Russian Imperial Stout that will be aged in a keg once fermentation is finished until the Winter Solstice. A lot of members here took place in a Barleywine swap. They brewed the beer on 9-9-08 and it will be consumed on 9-9-09. A tripel would also hold up to longer aging.

In general, higher alcohol beers take to aging better. Most actually need a long aging period to mellow out.

yes longer aging!! that is what I meant to say I apologize for the mix-up...A belgian tripel would be nice we live about an hour or so from Belgium right now so that would be sweet!..

Any ideas on a good recipe for one?

Congrats. If you haven't reverted back to extract brewing yet, expect to soon. Good luck getting 4-6 hours alone to brew. And you can forget that quadruple decoction 6 month aged Oktoberfests you've been planning.

Congratulations to a fellow future dad! My wife just got a due date, Feb 7th. Its wild, taking a while to sink in. Good luck to you and your wife.

Congratulations to a fellow future dad! My wife just got a due date, Feb 7th. Its wild, taking a while to sink in. Good luck to you and your wife.

I also will be a father in about 9 months...well 8 by now.

I'm looking for a name for a beer celebrating the birth. I'd like it to include the baby's name.

Audrey Jo for a girl, Jack Claytor for a boy.

I have already decided on Audrey's Ale(Pale Ale, India Pale Ale...some variation).

I need one for Jack.

Wow that's quick for names. We haven't talked seriously about them yet. They said 2 more months before we find out what we're having. I may work on a RIS or some sort of barley wine since it will have plenty of time to age. Something to celebrate with in Feb.

Congratulations. I've been putting off making a porter for a while lately. My wife really enjoys them so I made one for her. Then she found out she was pregnant before it was ready and wasn't able to fully enjoy it.

I'm trying to delay another batch of it, since its getting to be time to make some more porter

Congrats! Our due date was yesterday...nothing doing.

Hopefully your pregnancy will go as smoothly as ours has...so far.

Congrats.

You have a lot of thing to look forward to.

example.

Company picnic saturday morning and on the boat ride over to Catalina Island my 4yr old daughter see's the harbor's various burn?? towers. Towers that burn off gas from what I assume are underground oil wells/storage.

She yells at the top of her lungs on a crowded boat... "Daddy.... FIRE! DADDDY FIRE!!!!"

More than a few people looked around for a few moments.

I felt like we had just walked into the airport and she yelled "bomb"...

ahhhh good times.

First of all congrats on the kid. Everyone says that your life changes for the better when you have a kid. I don't know because I don't have any (that I know of :D)

Second of all. Let's talk about this Belgium thing. I bet you get to try all kinds of wonderful things. Brew that tripel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we live about an hour or so from Belgium

Im definitely going to look into a tripel and I wanted to say congrats to the other few guys in here as well...seems like were all close to being on the same schedule...

Just need to find a nice recipe for one that isnt all-grain because I'm still new to this hobby and have only recently moved up to partial-mash. I guess I could do a stovetop mini all grain batch and try the westletern 12 (Sp?) recipe thats floating around...

I do get to try all kinds of different beers I just need to get my ass out there and start asking the bartenders for some really rare stuff!

The sad thing is that my wife loves beer and she is going to miss out on all the yummy brews that im making...

Well, as my wife used to say when she was pregnant with our kids - alcohol only kills the weak brain cells and we don't want our kids to have any of those!

(note: I'm not advocating that pregnant women drink, but my wife enjoyed a very occasional beer during the last couple of months of both pregnancies and both kids turned out pretty awesome)

Congrats! (and good luck - hah!)

Congratulations!!!! Becoming a father is a great thing, you are going to love it. I miss nights out with the wife and traveling but the first time your kid says "I love you daddy" it will always be worth all the little headaches and inconveniences.

I have a son and a daughter, I would not trade them for gold. My daughter is cool because her dad makes beer and my son will be able to go to show and tell and describe how to overcome a stuck sparge. Good luck and all the best.:mug:

hahah that is awesome rubberband thanks for that post....it made me smile big time....its either that or both of the homebrews I just took down... :) J/K thanks for all the kind words...

beers drank tonight * it's 330 AM over here in Germany I work night shift...

one double IPA and one india brown ale...mmmmmm

Congratulations and good luck. I'm so thankful for my gag reflex because I don't deal with the absolute horrible stench my son seems to conjure up. He is 6 months and just started eating real food, sorta. I certainly wish I could bottle it, so that the next time a co-worker passes gas, I could open the bottle. Seriously, it has been such a fun, exciting and sometimes scary 6 months that I couldn't accept money for trade. Enjoy!!!

had 4 as in quadruplets!?!!!

Yeah and being a dad in the military is going to make things even more difficult...

at least for the next two years I landed myself a cushy job that will leave me basically non-deployable so I have that going for me...

My third will be here in 5 days....

Being a dad is cool work.

Kids love you, they want to be like you, and they make you a better, less selfish person.

Being a dad is easy... when you learn to be a parent and not a friend. Being a friend to your child and not a parent, only makes life harder. Be a dad, be a parent, they will hate you sometimes, but they will respect you.

Back