About to purchase my supplies, looking for advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave6187

Reaction score
Well, as the title states I'm about to go order the first of my supplies I'll need to start learning how to homebrew, there isn't really a homebrew store near me (Livingston, NJ) So I'm going to need to rely on the information I can gather to learn where and where not to order from. I'm picking up an aluminum 30qt stock pot(from what I've read, aluminum should work assuming some precautions are taken, and I cant afford SS right now) and the brewing starter kit from midwest supplies (found here. I'll probably go with the "better bottle" than the glass carboy though. I have a copy of "Extreme Brewing", which I know isn't the best place to begin. Are there any books and/or websites you recommend I'd take a look at while learning? And tips/suggestions for me? thanks!

-Dave

I recommend this website.

For books, I recommend "How to Brew" by John Palmer (see the web version here) and "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. Both are great and will teach you how to make great beer, via extract or all-grain.

Get a copy of "Joy of Home Brewing" by Charlie Papazian. Sounds like you are on the right track, welcome to the hobby.

can't really add much to this, but as a relative n00b myself all I can say is visit this site daily, use the search, and post questions if you have them. In addition, read the books already suggested by Palmer and Papazian.

Otherwise the equipment you're buying is right on to get started easily so it's just a matter of getting the hang of what you're doing and then actually doing it. You'll find that it isn't as hard as it sounds and as soon as you finish your first brew you'll be itching to start your second.

Dave, in my humble and very noobish opinion, I think that you are on the right track. You have a great idea of what to look at, what you need and what to be cautious of.

Get brewing!!

+1 on Palmer's "How To Brew", especially because you can read it online for free. I read it three times before I brewed even once, and my first batch came out OK!

Ray Daniels' "Designing Great Recipes" was a good read, even though it was way over my head the first time I read it. It's become a bathroom book for me, and I've now read it three times through... consequently, I've only ever followed 2 or 3 recipes that I haven't designed on my own (not counting the Mr. Beer stuff I started on).

+1 for the How to Brew by Palmer.
I've been doing all grain for some time now, but I still re-read it from time to time.

and Midwest Supplies does a great job. I haven't had any trouble with any of the purchases I've made from them

can't really add much to this, but as a relative n00b myself all I can say is visit this site daily, use the search, and post questions if you have them. In addition, read the books already suggested by Palmer and Papazian.

Otherwise the equipment you're buying is right on to get started easily so it's just a matter of getting the hang of what you're doing and then actually doing it. You'll find that it isn't as hard as it sounds and as soon as you finish your first brew you'll be itching to start your second.

I did these exact same things and just put my 1st brew into Primary last weekend. Palmers book "How to Brew" is great, this site and the people here are great, the customer service at Midwest is great.....This should be all you need to get started. Have fun!!!

I started only a few months ago with a beginners kit from midwest and "complete joy of homebrewing" by charlie papazian. I hear the palmer book is a must, though.

+1 for this sight. I've noticed recently google searching terms usually gives the first two or so results that go to homebrewtalk.

My first brewing book was "Extreme Brewing" also and its fun but a little lacking in details. It glosses over important stuff I learned on here, particularly using a hydrometer, fermentation times, and the amount of yeast needed. I would check out Palmer's book, since its free and online, to start.

I can offer a little advice on those subjects but you'll find a lot more here. First his idea that you can bottle in a week isn't reliable. The hydrometer is the only way to track fermentation to see when its finished.

The other part is the yeast he uses. If you use the yeast suggested in the recipes definitely use "smack packs" instead of vials for a better chance for complete fermentation. Beginners and even a lot of experienced brewers use dry yeast for simplicity with very good results.

Good luck and have fun!

Corrado's in clifton will have some of what you need. They don't really have alot of crushed grains but a decnt selection of hops whole grain and yeast. They also have some pots and stuf for you to check out. the people there aren't the most helpful but its all we have in northern NJ

+1 to brewing classic styles. the recipes in there are great, and they have
mash options when you move forward.

I agree totally on all the books mentioned here. I would offer another book or two for ya.

"Dictionary of Beer and Brewing" Second edition and compiled by Dan Rabin and Carl Forget (Brewers Publications, Boulder CO. )

and "The Home Brewer's Answer Book" By Ashton Lewis.(Storey Publishing)

As you read Charlies book(s) and Mr. Palmers have one or both of these handy. Some of the terms used by brewers can get a bit confusing. Thes two books were a HUGE help to me as I read (I still use them).

Good luck.

P.S. Even if you go with a Better Bottle, get a Brew Hauler. Really makes carrying those things Glass or plastic a lot easier.

...I'm picking up an aluminum 30qt stock pot(from what I've read, aluminum should work assuming some precautions are taken, and I cant afford SS right now)...
-Dave

Where will you be brewing? Depending on your stove if inside you may have a lot of trouble getting large volumes of water to heat up. I picked up the turkey fryer from Home Depot that comes with a 30qt alum pot + propane burner for about $50 I think and I know many others use the same. Works great for full-boil 5 gal batches if you watch for boil-overs.

Welcome to Homebrewing! :mug:

Hey Dave,

Welcome to the site, less than a day after you post your question and your second page is almost full. Typical for this site. Brewers here know there stuff and are ready to help.

HUGE pluses for papizan and palmer (bigger plus cause it's free online- read it).

I have two big pieces of advice.

1) Brewing isn't so much making beer as making yeast happy and getting the little beasties to do what you want. Put them in an environment in which they can thrive and under the right conditions, magic happens.

2) RDWHAHB.

You're really going to enjoy brewing, not hard at all. Just keep it clean (like mom said). I started out with even less equipment than that, doing only single stage fermentations. That looks like a good set up & Midwest is a good source, I'm not too far from them & visit on occasion but most of my stuff including my start up came from Windriver. They're a smaller shop but have most of the essentials & some good deals here is their similar offering that includes a 5 gal recipe kit & they offer a discount on a couple things like the Papazian book.

Wow thanks so much guys! I'm really looking forward to starting my first brew this summer. I'll look into one of those turkey fryer things, I was iffy on how my gas range would heat up a 30qt pot. I've started reading the online version of "how to brew" and will be picking up some of those other books soon... A whole bunch of my friends AND family are looking forward to seeing what I can create, so looks like I better start learning more, eh?:tank:

Money well spent is on:
wort chiller - or make your own
large pot - I use a 10 gallon and it's perfect for 5 gallon batched.. because I sometimes start with 7.5-8 g preboil and you need space for boilover room.

Good luck...J Palmers book is very good but I find myself browsing online more than reading.

Back