Stalled, or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
OK, I haven't done a second hydrometer reading, but something's up. I've narrowed it down to two reasons and neither are good.

My pumpkin Ale went in the fermentor on Wednesday night and was bubbling away by Thursday morning. When I got home tThursday evening it had all but stopped. I push on the lid to blow all of the air out of the airlock cap and it took it until the next morning to rise again. Very little activity.

Even without taking a reading I feel pretty strong that I'm stalled.

Two things that I did that worry me. 1. Pitched when the wort was still 90 degrees. 2. did a four gallon boil and only added about a gallon and a half of fresh water. Stirred for about five minutes to aerate.

My deal is that I'm very close to my LHBS while at work and am trying to figure out if I need to pick up some yeast energizer or new yeast on the way home. Unfortunately, I only have enough cash to buy one or the other.

I guess it comes down to the question of what's more likely the problem? Did the heat hurt my yeast? Maybe not, since it was fermenting like crazy earlier. Or is it lack of aeration? If so, would yeast energizer help that problem?

I don’t think you killed the yeast pitching that hot. Yeast should be fine to 104F - 109F.

I didn’t want to admit it on the forum. But with my Scottish Ale, I couldn’t get it cold enough fast enough and I was too tired to remember I had an empty chest freezer in the basement. But since you admitted to pitching at 90F, I pitched the yeast for my Scottish Ale at 100F. It fermented fine.

feedthebear said:
I don’t think you killed the yeast pitching that hot. Yeast should be fine to 104F - 109F.

I didn’t want to admit it on the forum. But with my Scottish Ale, I couldn’t get it cold enough fast enough and I was too tired to remember I had an empty chest freezer in the basement. But since you admitted to pitching at 90F, I pitched the yeast for my Scottish Ale at 100F. It fermented fine.
I didn't want to admit it either. My reason was the same as yours. It was late and I was tired. I didn't want it to set out all night without yeast.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I didn't want to admit it either. My reason was the same as yours. It was late and I was tired. I didn't want it to set out all night without yeast.

Finally! Honesty in Brewing will set you fee!:mug:

I've pitched at higher than ideal temps on quite a few with no noticeable consequences.

OK, now everyone fess up!

LOL.

I ended up with a slight sour apple and peaty flavor. The sour apple flavor isn’t overpowering anymore and peaty flavor is what I really like about Scotch. So, the off-flavors I ended up with, are just fine with me.

Pitching that hot, I'm not surprised you only had a 24 hour ferment. I had an 18 hour ferment pitching at 80F. It went up to 87F within 8 hours. By th time I got it cooled off, it was done. Get a couple packets of dried yeast, but I suspect a second gravity reading will show the ale is done.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
I've got a package of Montrachet, but I started out with Muntons. Do you think I should go ahead and get Muntons?

GEB - I've had fermentations in less than 24 hours with both Munton's and Nottingham - based on the temps, I'm guessing you're done. Do you know your OG?

Sköl!

SBN said:
GEB - I've had fermentations in less than 24 hours with both Munton's and Nottingham - based on the temps, I'm guessing you're done. Do you know your OG?

Sköl!

Yep, but I've not done a second reading. I guess that's what I need to do tonight.

I pitched my Belgian Tripel at 90+ degrees. It may have been closer to 100. Anyhow, the stuff went crazy in 12 hours, so I guess the yeast was fine. The bad thing is, it fermented from 1.101 to 1.060, and stalled out. a week later, it was down to 1.053. I roused the yeast and it bubbled slowly for a couple weeks. I'm going to check the gravity at lunch today.... which is right now!

I called my LHBS where I got my recipe and the guy was like "I know who you are, you've been brewing too long to pitch that hot!"

yeah, yeah. anyway, he said don't worry about it.

Back