American IPA Deception IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad_Horse_Brews

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
American Ale Blend
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9.6 L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
Full hops flavor in the middle and very little bitterness on the back-end
So I've come to learn that I don't like the bitterness part of IPA's. The hops flavor is great, but it never appealed to me the bitterness at the end. I did some research into what makes it bitter, did some more research on beer recipes and came up with this recipe. Big hops flavor and pretty minimal comparable bitterness. Thus the name: Deception IPA. Enjoy.

GRAINS:

8# - 2-row
2# - Maris Otter
1# - Honey
1# - Vienna
8oz - Carafoam
8oz - 60L

Hops:
1oz - Crystal (first wort hop)
1oz - Cascade (60 minutes)
2oz - Cascade (30 minutes)
2oz - Goldings, Kent/UK (30 minutes)
1oz - Centennial (5 minutes)

Yeast:
White labs American Ale Blend WLP060 1 vial

Fermantation:
7 days Primary
14 days Secondary

With 7 ounces of hops, you'd expect this to slap you in the face with flavor and bitterness, but I chose lower AA hops and went heavy on the 30 minute mark so that it wouldn't impart the bitterness as much. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the results. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

I have all these ingredients on hand (except I'll be using 05), so I'm going to make this today. Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out.

pretty similar to my one, the jean genie, in the India Pale Ale forum...check it out :)

yours looks nice! i had a similar hop schedule, with most at 30 and no others at all. really pleasant character and not overly bitter.

This looks good. I too dislike the bitterness left behind on the back of your toung from a strong ipa but really enjoy the hop flavor blast at first. Going to have to try this.

sfgoat said:
Did you use honey malt or just regular old honey?

Used honey malt so the flavor and sweetness comes through rather than upping the alcohol content, not that that's a bad thing.

Back