Do You Still Purchase Commercial Beer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
Since all of us here brew, I was just curious if all of us drink our own beer, still buy store beer, or a combination of the two?..

Myself, I drink a few nightly of my own homebrew, and maybe try an occasional sixer of a new craft beer I haven't tried, or some cheap stuff if my batch isn't ready yet.

And on occasion I'll stop by a bar and try something new on tap.

How about you guys ?

My commercial beer consumption went up dramatically when I first started homebrewing. Research, you know.

Now it's a sixer or two a month of commercial beer, but mostly homebrew. Inversely proportional to the quality of my batches (i.e., bad homebrew = buy good beer)

I don't brew enough to not buy beer. Someday when I'm kegging maybe I will but I normally split a 5 gal batch with a friend.

Yes Research! I'm heading out to go buy so more research in about 15 minutes.

In addition, I collect the commercial bottle caps for a bar stool project. But I only need one of each, so I buy the build your own six packs for $10. You get to try a lot more variety, but some of them are not always fresh. I have found 5 or 6 brews that I really like, and put them on a list to try and clone some day.

Yes, of course I still buy commercial. Better yet, the wife will often bring me several different beers because she liked the bottles or labels, so naturally I have to drink the contents for her.
I also save all of the caps for various projects.

Combination of the two. Still buy craft pick six packs to try new things plus I buy limited release and special beers in individual bottles.

I still pick up a sixer every once in a while if it's something I want to try or if I don't want to brew 5gal of the style. Of course I drink commercial beers when I go out to eat and I love tying different/new commercial beers along with some of my favorites. I almost never buy cases of commercial beer anymore.

I finally got to try a sixer of propeller this week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife tried it and said "this tastes like your beer" ! I think I shed a tear of pride. And I usually pick up a 24 of Grolsch 500ml cans from the local Costco (because it is decent and relatively inexpensive) Then there is the wine, and don't forget the single malt scotch... I'm a lush I guess...

Ebbs and flows with my pipeline. Right now it's pretty full, but I sometimes need a change of pace. About to have an IPA and APA on tap together, so I'm sure I'll buy some brown ale or something more malty when I crave it.

I also visit my (very)local bar 'cause it's a fun place to hang out - it's about 200 yards from my front door so never any driving, and gosh-darnit, they deserve my business.

I was thinking of making a cream ale so I bought a 24oz can of Genesee Cream ale yesterday. Yeah, well, not as good as I remembered. I hope my homebrew version has a bit more flavor.

Yes, I still buy beer. If they have pop-tops then all the better.

I still buy six packs of craft beer. How much depends on the pipeline. Right now I have about 12 cases in my basement, so I won't be buying very much for a while. But there are always times that I want something that I don't have on hand.

There will always be commerical beers that take to long to clone (barrel aged), just uncloneable or that damn good you just need the source.

Yup I still buy beer. I went sledding the other day and took a case of bud light. Tasted pretty good too

^^^This guy!!

I buy craft beer somewhat often, not to mention visiting local breweries for a couple pints pretty frequently. I just recently picked up a couple cases of Red Chair, love that stuff.

Like most people posting here, I still buy some craft stuff for "research" and limited released stuff. Since I started kegging I don't need the bottles anymore, but sometimes it is a nice change of pace and I am going to start bottle harvesting yeast. I have a bottle of Chimay White (Triple) I plan to harvest the yeast for a Triple I will be brewing soon.

Ummm. You tell me...

Full_Fridge.jpg

I buy commercial offerings but can't recall the last mass produced American I bought. I will try Sam Adams occasionally and any other good looking brew that's priced right. I try to sample a variety. In addition to stumbling across good-great beer, I get bottles!

Yes only when the mkt has a sale... Today they had Double Take $5 a sixer.... Got 2 cases of various: amber, pale, IPA its the house beer, I have a pool and its amazing how many people come thirsty without beer!!!!! I'd be out of my pipeline if we only drank homebrew

I only buy when I have to. I like to complete my research at TACO MAC (not a Mexican restaurant) They have 100s of beers to choose from

I love beer. There's no way I could brew all the styles I like, and you have to try new things. I'll always buy commercial.
But... I need to buy LESS now :)
Sierra Nevada has become my go-to, cheaper beer.

Research only accounts for so much. After that its just enjoyment of life. Which is what we should do.
I find now that my homebrew quality is increasing, I am buying less commercial beer. However I do keep a good stock of dark heavy strong brews in the cellar aging away for a vertical tasting night in the future years. (Such as Hermannator)

I have been brewing 5 gallon batches every week for the last 2 months to stock up...I have not bought commercial beer in that time and proud of it

My commercial beer consumption went up dramatically when I first started homebrewing. Research, you know.

Now it's a sixer or two a month of commercial beer, but mostly homebrew. Inversely proportional to the quality of my batches (i.e., bad homebrew = buy good beer)

+1 yes research. I like making commercial knock offs.

I dont have the money to buy beer like i used to. Growler fills are just too much. I haven't bought beer since i started to Homebrew. I will say that my wife will bring me a pliny the the elder sometimes.

ForumRunner_20130322_223240.jpg

ForumRunner_20130322_223251.jpg

I have 4 cases of beer that are ready to drink, and two are not. I am done buying beer and havent bought but a sixer and a few other single bottles just to try new stuff in the last 3 or so weeks. Im building up my beer warehouse( spare bedroom) to get to the point I do not need to purchase at all, except to sample of course.

I still buy commercial beer for a couple of reasons. First, my wife enjoys beer and, with an eight month old, I can usually only squeeze in one brew day a month. That's not even often enough to have two kegs full simultaneously. Second, I never want to be pigeon-holed into one person's idea of what beer should be, not even my own. So, I like to try as many different beers as I can. I prefer to do this by visiting breweries, but am not at all opposed to purchasing bottles and visiting beer bars.

I only drink commercial beers when my local breweries come out wit something new. They fill up my growler for 8$. AZ has a few great breweries and they like to test new stuff. If you want a night you won't remember try "Nimbus's Old Monkeyshine" it is tasty yet 8-9% abv.

edit- I, however, did buy some Stone Ruination IPA recently, I saw it and just had to

Back