Groundskeeper Willie's Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a braggot (which my buddy and I have affectionately named "Groundskeeper Willie's I was Mead for Loving You (everything else is CRAP!)). I'm brewing it tomorrow, and we'll have to see how the fermentation and flavor come out. Anyway, here's the recipe:

6.6 pounds light LME
.5 pound honey malt
.25 pound crystal 60L malt
.25 pound biscuit malt
10 pounds wildflower honey

2 ounces Amarillo hop pellets (60 minutes)
1 ounce Willamette hop pellets (20 minute)
1 ounce Willamette hop pellets (1 minute)

Wyeast 1278- Scottish Ale yeast, 1 gallon starter made the night before

2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp yeast energizer

Process:
Steep all specialty grains in 4 gallons of water at around 165* F for 30 minutes
Remove specialty grains, bring to a boil
Remove from heat, stir in LME, return wort to boil for 60 minutes
Hop schedule: add 2 ounces Amarillo hops when wort is first brought to boil
add 1 ounce Willamette hops after 40 minutes of boiling (20 minutes to go)
add 1 ounce Willamette hops in the last minute of boil
Remove wort from heat, bring wort temp to ~170* F
Add honey, stirring wort as added
Keep wort at ~170* F for 10 minutes to help dissolve honey
Reduce wort temp to 70* F as quickly as possible
Aerate wort
Add yeast nutrient and energizer, pour in the yeast starter
If necessary, add clean water to bring wort to 5 gallon mark

Then wait. I don't know how long this is going to take to ferment. I'm expecting a final gravity of around 1.028 and a 12% ABV, so I'll have to keep checking on it to see how long it takes me to get there. I plan on putting into secondary for 2-3 weeks after the primary fermentation has stopped, then adding corn sugar and bottling this bad boy. Then :tank:

This is the first recipe I've ever made up, so any and all criticisms and suggestions are gladly accepted.

You probably should start that yeast sooner and step it up a couple times. You're going to want about 3-4x as much yeast as you'll get out of that one vial, so it might take a the better part of a week to get there.

If you're looking to brew this weekend, I'd say make your starter with two packs.

You can find a yeast pitching rate calculator at http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Let us know how it turns out!

I'm being patient with this one. I sampled one a couple weeks ago; it was good but still had some warm alcohol flavors. There was also no carbonation to speak of. I'm wondering if I should have added some champagne yeast before bottling.

I think this will be great in mid-winter when it's nice and cold out.

I just realized that I left out some of the details here.

I left this in primary for two weeks, then racked to secondary for four weeks before bottling. I added yeast nutrient and energizer when initially pitching yeast, then again at one week, and then again when I transferred to secondary. My OG was 1.106 and my final gravity was 1.019.

Think this will carb up if I leave it alone?

So, it has been a little over a year since this was bottled, and I just opened one. Mouthfeel is thick but smooth, almost a milk-like consistency, with no carbonation at all. This has aged to be fairly (surprisingly) dry, mellow with just a note of sweetness but a hoppy finish. Light amber in color, no head.

I like this, but think I would make it a little lighter next time. At 12% ABV, this is definitely some to sit and sip on.

image-4129900345.jpg

Very nice. I am excited to see braggot results. I am 4 days shy into a month in primary for my braggot. After the month is up I will rack off the lees. Hope I can stand a year of aging befor trying mine like you.

Oh, it has been tried a handful of times over the last year. Just been waiting a couple months between each try.

Back