Bottled stout how long can I let it age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive never had a stout in the bottle more than 6 months. I just drink it too fast.
If you bottle today, that give you late October with no trouble.

If I recall, the dark roasted grains used to brew stouts actually contribute antioxidants that help preserve the beer, so you should be fine.

I have some 1.050ish stouts that are 15 months old. They're still great.

I've had cream ales that I had had in the bottle for a year and they still taste good. As long as your storage area is dark so the beer doesn't get skunked your stout should be fine.

The exception I have found with longer storage is with my pale ales where the hop aroma fades with time. The one I bottled in November had aroma that just popped when it was young but now it has faded. It still tastes good, just not the aroma it had.

If you have a place to keep the bottles cool, it should be just fine. I have a coffee stout that I drink a few bottles each year that started out 4 years ago, and some Christmas ales (stout base) that are even older.

I have a chocolate stout that takes 4 to 5 month's to hit it's correct flavor. When it does it's like a party in your mouth!

Back