How much beer do you drink daily?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys don't bring beer to parties or family gatherings?

sure, i bring beer almost everywhere i go that doesn't provide beer (i.e. bars, restaurants, etc.). i always bring some homebrew with me to hang out with friends or family. i also give away some beer out of most batches i bottle. i brew between 2 and 4 times a month, usually, mostly 5 gal batches. i buy a small amount of commercial brew, maybe a sixer and a few bombers a week. my wife also enjoys several brews a night, and we are able to remain decently stocked. all that said, i don't see what brewing regularly and giving beer away has to with consumption.

I have 3-4 (pints) during the week and a couple per day weekends - so 6-8 a week. That's 32 pints per month plus what I take to functions and give to my buddies at work (I usually take 4-6 pints in for the guys to sample). Add in Xmas, Superbowl, various sporting events, etc, I brew a 40 pint batch every 3-4 weeks to keep my pipeline intact.

all that said, i don't see what brewing regularly and giving beer away has to with consumption.

Based on the conversation from post #274-277, a few people (you included), seemed incredulous that someone could brew once or more a month and still only drink 2-3 pints at most a day. I was surprised that you seemed to so easily over look beer being given away, taken to parties, etc. Hell, my wife doesn't even drink and I still can brew twice a month without becoming over stocked.

You didn't see a guy like me comment about your 6 pack a day theory, but I'm certainly going to respond to veiled comments that I might be a liar.

oh wow reading how much brewers drink a day is extremely different than what i was thinking. week days 10 or so depending when i get off and 20 or so on weekends. somebody top me so i dont feel bad about myself.

I drink about 3-4 times a week and when I do it's usually about 2-3 a night. I never have more than one if we go out b/c I'm always the driver, so that sucks as far as trying beers at a place like Springfield Brew Co.

I was surprised that you seemed to so easily over look beer being given away, taken to parties, etc.
You didn't see a guy like me comment about your 6 pack a day theory, but I'm certainly going to respond to veiled comments that I might be a lier.

overlooked? i actually figured that every brewer gives as much or more beer away as i do. if you're brewing ten gal a month, and drinking ~1 gallon a week, obviously you'd be giving a lot away in order to not have a large stockpile.
as far as calling you or anyone else a liar, i think it sounds fishy when a bunch of brewers claim to drink between 1 and 4 beers a week, which many posters are claiming as their intake (one claimed 48 beers in a year). you're a cop, right? doesn't the 'one or two beers a night' story sound a bit like the familiar fish tales you hear when you pull over a suspect DUI?

FWIW, i was more laughing at the new male attitude of supplements, diets and working on their figure, than caring about folks lowballing their intake. i always find guys like that amusing, personally. but i do suspect that a lot of the posters claiming minimal consumption are FOS, just my opinion, but it does have a certain odor to it. :mug:

My mistake then, I see what you meant by minimal: the VERY minimal responses. Some definitely do seem strange to me in sense that brewing is pretty much pointless for them. But we all have different motivations. Hell, there's a guy on here who doesn't drink at all! He posts from time to time and says he gives all of it away but loves brewing.

I'm fairly consistent at 2-3 a night with maybe one day off a week, so its still easy to go through 5+ gallons a month on my own. The Super Bowl cleared one keg out for me and my painter is helping to clear the other now!

I'm fairly consistent at 2-3 a night with maybe one day off a week, so its still easy to go through 5+ gallons a month on my own. The Super Bowl cleared one keg out for me and my painter is helping to clear the other now!

fer sher! 2-3 a night makes sense, 2-3 a week? not so much. >1 a week, why brew, IMO? to each their own, i guess.
and yeah, a big get together can clear a keg in no time, as can a painter. if you ever need to unload beer fast, have your roof redone and your house painted, tell the contractors that the beer is downstairs to the right. they know what to do. :mug:

During the week, I may have 1-2 per night with some nights not drinking any. If I play golf on the weekend, I may have 8-10 on Saturday, and maybe 6 on Sunday. Since I started back home brewing, my consumption has gone down slightly!

DarthMalt said:
Especially when you take into account that most people purchase beer in addition to what they brew. Hmmm... I smell b******t! Either people don't brew what they claim, or they're in serious denial. Or, a combination of both.

Last year I brewed 187 gallons. I dumped ten due to contamination. Of the other 177, I literally gave away (bro in-law's parties, b-day gifts, Christmas gifts) probably 85 gal, and had others drink (my parties, taking them to friends' houses, having people over to watch ball, etc) another 50. That left about 40-ish gallons for me & the wife. Not hard work at all! And by the fall, when I felt like I was starting to "get it"' I basically stopped buying commercial beers except at bars.

Last year for me was about grinding out volume while I learned what I was doing. Some of my beers were meh at best, but they were free and my bro in-law's friends are just out of college :).

This year I'm looking to do competitions so I can get objective feedback. I want to make it into the 40s with my beers, so I can move forward with my plans for the future :)

My mistake then, I see what you meant by minimal: the VERY minimal responses. Some definitely do seem strange to me in sense that brewing is pretty much pointless for them. But we all have different motivations. Hell, there's a guy on here who doesn't drink at all! He posts from time to time and says he gives all of it away but loves brewing.

Brewing for me has nothing to do with the time or money i allocate towards the procedures or materials. For me, i enjoy drinking quality beers now and then and one way i can do that is by brewing my own.

Last year I brewed 187 gallons. I dumped ten due to contamination. Of the other 177, I literally gave away (bro in-law's parties, b-day gifts, Christmas gifts) probably 85 gal, and had others drink (my parties, taking them to friends' houses, having people over to watch ball, etc) another 50. That left about 40-ish gallons for me & the wife. Not hard work at all! And by the fall, when I felt like I was starting to "get it"' I basically stopped buying commercial beers except at bars.

Last year for me was about grinding out volume while I learned what I was doing. Some of my beers were meh at best, but they were free and my bro in-law's friends are just out of college :).

This year I'm looking to do competitions so I can get objective feedback. I want to make it into the 40s with my beers, so I can move forward with my plans for the future :)

Wow, well there's a situation that makes perfect sense then! :) I certainly don't have that kind of money; nor that amount of family beer drinkers; nor the time to brew that much beer. I only give away maybe one third of what I brew. If you notice my previous post besides the one quoted, I did mention the possibility that people were giving away lots of beer though.

However, I'm not sure many people are in the same boat as you (unless they are, in which case, I'm in the minority.) It's definitely not the 2 or 3 drinks a night that bewilders me since this is how much I drink and I brew about twice/month. If you look at many of the responses, they equate to a consumption rate of about one batch every two months. Compared to the How Many Gallons of Homebrew thread, the numbers just don't add up. Also, as I mentioned earlier, people buy beer aside from what they brew...

Look, I'm merely stating my opinion; nothing more. It just seems strange to me! Heck, I'm not the only one... :mug:

DarthMalt,

I definitely see where you're coming from. I wasn't disagreeing with you so much, more like explaining my probably rare situation.

To be honest, I don't have the money to repeat last year. I'm trying to slow down and work on quality. Also, my bro in-law got stationed elsewhere, so I'm really cutting down on batch sizes to be more in the range you seem to be doing--maybe 2-3 times a month, just enough to keep me in beer and pass on a few to my friends.

Cheers!

I plan to brew every week until I have two fermenters full and multiple batches bottle conditioned. A 5 gallon batch could last me as few as two Weeks all things considered, including having company share in it

My opinion is similar to Darth and Nordeast.
Why does someone brew so much beer to give to others? I could understand that if you spent all your money on a sailboat, that you would want friends along, but what if you have a Harley?
Its probably just me, but I sure as hell don't take everyone out and buy all their drinks. Just sayin..;)

Thanks for getting back on subject. Daily=2, Weekends=8, Wing's game=whatever is in the house, Wing's game+Overtime=whatever is in the house+beer run, Wing's game+Overtime+Shootout=whatever is in the house+beer run+anything else that contains alcohol.

What can I say, I am Irish and I like to brew my own beer.

This message was edited by SWMBO.

Ryan...........and Lindsey.

Thanks for getting back on subject. Daily=2, Weekends=8, Wing's game=whatever is in the house, Wing's game+Overtime=whatever is in the house+beer run, Wing's game+Overtime+Shootout=whatever is in the house+beer run+anything else that contains alcohol.

What can I say, I am Irish and I like to brew my own beer.

This message was edited by SWMBO.

Ryan...........and Lindsey.

NOT TRUE.... SWMBO....Lindsey.
My number=0, maybe 1 on a good day. Ryan hasn't brewed anything that I like yet.

For 20 years was at least a 12 pack a night. Now it is around 6 a week some weeks less some more.

my really good session style beers last about 3-4 weeks in the 5.5 gal keg.
The GIANT gravity ones like my old ale are just over a year old.

I drink 3 to 5 on weekdays and 5 to 8 on weekends. I drink my homebrew and I still buy craft beer pretty regularly. I do give away my homebrew to friends, but it's usually the batches I don't like as much. If it's one of my favorites.. I'm not as generous ;)

Ryan has work to do! We need pictures so we have a face for the words Lindsey...:rockin:

Nooooo, Ryan likes the darker beers. You are ruthless! Don't worry, she will be the hottest female on the boards, pics are coming. No offense to the other non 23 year old females on here!

too much...roflmao....I would say 2 - 3 pints on average when I drink....which means there is 40 pints in a 5 gallon keg....so average keg lasts about a month....if there is football or hockey involved, it can go much much faster :/

However it is nice that i don't have to worry about running to the store too often.....however right now my pipeline is suffering....i have 2 2/3 full kegs in the kegerator and nothing fermenting, which means I will have to brew tomorrow....and probably next weekend :p I like to have two one deck, I slow carb in the kegerator so when one keg goes dry, usually gives me enough time to carb another batch.

Ryan hasn't brewed anything that I like yet.

be forewarned Ryan, once ya start making beer she likes you'll have to compete to get your fair share. :ban:

Ryan has work to do! We need pictures so we have a face for the words Lindsey...:rockin:

step one: brew beer for the wife
step two:
just post the hot pics...:D

now look, we're :off: again. i drank 7 beers last night, two were imperial pints, the rest were twelve oz, though i split one of those with my wife.

I usually have at least two pints a day. Pretty often I'll have 4, two after work and two with dinner. I get off work around 1:30 and dinner is at like 6:00. On the weekends I drink the same plus two late night pints. Tuesday is my off day.

At first reading through this thread I was feeling like a drunk but I see that there are folks out there who are in the same boat so I don't feel so bad :)

4-6 a day Fri. through Sun. None Mon. through Thur. My theory is that I like it too much not to get it out of my system most of the time. Of course, on vacation all rules are ignored. Going on a weeks vacation in March, a cruise.

If I have to work the next day I have nothing to drink. On the weekends all bets are off and I'll have 10-15 pints a night. However not a drop before 4, you have to have boundaries...lol.

If I have to work the next day I have nothing to drink. On the weekends all bets are off and I'll have 10-15 pints a night. However not a drop before 4, you have to have boundaries...lol.

I never understood that lol, what makes drinking later better? If I want to get up and have a beer with breakfast I shall, and not feel guilty at all about it.

I'm jobless at the moment so I don't drink as much as I would like, it's been maybe 12 a month if I'm lucky. I'll get back up to my comfort zone soon enough though haha :tank:

Usually have a couple a night during the week and whatever I have the time/sobriety for on the weekends.

On a side note about time of day...I usually don't start before lunch, but any time after is fine...you have to get coffee in some time.

I never understood that lol, what makes drinking later better? If I want to get up and have a beer with breakfast I shall, and not feel guilty at all about it.

I'm jobless at the moment so I don't drink as much as I would like, it's been maybe 12 a month if I'm lucky. I'll get back up to my comfort zone soon enough though haha :tank:

For me it's if I start drinking at noon I'll be wasted by 4 or 5 and asleep by 7.....or worse drunk by 4, sober up by 7, then I'm in a pissy mood the rest of the night :)

My rule usally is not before 5 just cuz that suits me I don't think less of people or look down on them for drinking earlier. I have a lot of alcoholic abuse problems in my family so I bothers my wife when they start tieing one on first thing in the morning

Back