Who is smoking what on this Labor Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to do a brisket. I walked to the store to get one earlier, and they didn't have any. Like, they literally don't even sell brisket at the @#*$^@ grocery store by my house.

I suppose it's not all bad. I will just go to a proper butcher instead.

I am leaning towards a tenderloin

Did one of these weekend before last. $72 piece of meat. It was great. Have your butcher bundle it with twine in a log - fold the ends over so it is one uniform thickness. Good luck.

Same weekend smoked 4 racks of baby backs, boston butt (pulled pork), brisket (with RIS gravy!), grilled corn, and ground 2 boston butts into brattwurst. Big meat weekend.

This weekend will probably just be burgs (making kimchee and pretzels, tho).

Doing up a 9lb pork shoulder for pulled pork for a friends party on Saturday, then gonna do a small brisket on Sunday for me and the G/F. Also playing around with smokin some salmon a friend gave us last week on Sunday as well.

Gonna give the smoker a workout this weekend.

Its burgers, corn and a brew day for me. Im sure ill end up smoked by the end of it all though!
Too much homebrew, not enough liver. You know, that old story...

Smoking a pork butt and brisket for a party on Saturday, and then properly simmering brats in a beer bath with onions and peppers for actual Labor Day.

Ralph's has got Tri-Tip for a $1.99 a lb friday, so I'll pick up a few. Also looking for a good buy on briskit

i get the pleasure of working most of the weekend (retail mgmt...) but I am planning on cutting some spare ribs into st louis ribs and rib tips to smoke on Sunday with the wife, BIL and his GF.

Also hope to kick a keg or so in the process!

i suppose i should use up those two chickens i have in the freezer. any chicken uds tips/recipes?

20 slabs of loin back ribs, and a mess of flank steak jerky that I got for a steal.

FromZwolle: brine it!

Sadly, I will be tossing some pre-cooked ribs on the grill, at best. If we can swing it we're having friends over and I doubt I'll have a chance to do the real thing. Actually, the sample I got from the person selling it was very good. Could be worse.

4 racks of beef ribs and a bottom round roast are lined up and waiting for Saturday morning. The roast has a spicy dry rub and will eventually become chili for lunches next week. Should be tasty.

Haven't decided yet. Our official Labor Day plans were shelved so now, I have an extra day of sitting around the house. I have a fryer and a brisket in the freezer but, I have been wanting to work up a 'mustard / ipa / curry' wet rub for pork. I have some curry and hungarian paprika that is starting to dry out and I need to use it for something... :)

I still haven't found a #$$*&@# brisket to smoke yet. At this point it is basically too late to do it right, so maybe I'll pick up some chicken wings or something instead.

Just dry rubbed a 12 lb. packer brisket (deckel on). Will put it on the smoker tomorrow night for an all night smoke and BBQ Supper on Sunday.

Smoker is just about up to temp and then I'll throw the pork butt and brisket on.

And, hit it with some ABT's tomorrow mid day.

Had the butt on for 2 hours now. College football, smoked meat and high of 70. I love fall.

ForumRunner_20110903_085934.jpg

tomorrow i'll be throwing on a bourbon soaked chuckie, two turkey legs, and a rack of ribs. plus whatever our friends decide to bring over to throw in as well. will also be brewing a rye pale ale at the same time.

a little slow on the trigger today, but the chimney starter is glowing and i'm gonna smoke some ribs and a small chicken here soon.

Deer jerky turned out great, and I threw on some dove breasts while I was at it.

image-1364359778.jpg

I've got 2 whole chickens on the smoker. Also tapped my "World's Best" Oktoberfest just to see how it is - it's wonderful. What's the difference between a fryer chicken and a roasting chicken? All I could see was the roasting chicken was $.30/pound more and had a pop-up timer.

couldn't tell you the difference between a fryer and a roaster, size maybe? I decided to forgo the turkey legs. Too much food for my wife and I. Just a chuckie and a rack of baby backs! Leftovers this week!! BB just went on, chuckie in another 2 hrs or so. I'll try to remember to take pics.

I've got 2 whole chickens on the smoker. Also tapped my "World's Best" Oktoberfest just to see how it is - it's wonderful. What's the difference between a fryer chicken and a roasting chicken? All I could see was the roasting chicken was $.30/pound more and had a pop-up timer.

Age and size of the chicken.

Back