AG brewing in pot with false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
I've been brewing AG ales for many years now and have been very happy with the results. I use a 8 gal SS pot for my MLT. I use a Bazooka screen in the bottom of my MLT. However, my efficiency is not great (65%-70%) and I think it's because I'm leaving too much sugar behind in the MLT.

So, I was thinking of going for a false bottom. My only concern is that when I add heat, I can't stir to the bottom of the pot. The false bottom would prevent me from reaching the bottom.

So, all you AG brewers out there that use a SS pot with a false bottom for your MLT, are there issues with not getting to the bottom of the pot? Scorching? Hot spots? Do I need to add a little extra H2O because of the extra volume under the false bottom?

My friend used the exact same setup for many years and had no issues. Initially, we were also concerned about scorching, so we would raise the heat slowly and stir the entire time. Keep stirring for a minute or two after reaching temperature to make sure the heat is completely circulated.

We never once experienced any issues with scorching, but I will say that we always used the same routine without testing the limits. It will get boring and your arm will get tired. Ultimately he ended up buying a pump for that reason alone.

I have a polarware 42 qt. MLT with one of those domed false bottoms. I've only done 2 AG batches so far but have had no problems with scorching. The dome/false bottom keeps the grain from sitting on the bottom. There is about an inch of space from the outer edges of the dome to the kettle sides and I make sure to stir that area often. There is some dead space that you will need to account for.

So far, no complaints from me. I love the SS MLT as it gives me more versatility in terms of doing stepped mashes and the ability to easily adjust my temperature.

Back