American Pale Ale Dale's Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After brewing this 2x I woould say it is a beer that needs to age a bit to mellow out. I think it is best at about the 2 month mark especially when dry hopping.

Does anybody have an extract recipe for dales pale ale or Tommy knocker pick axe pale ale??? Eventually I want to move on to all grain but I'm not there yet

I really taste summit hops as flavor profile in Dale's -- does anyone else think this would be a good addition? I think I would try either recipe #1 or #2 here but add some SUmmit at 30 minute mark.

I made this recipe converting it accurately (from the first recipe) to a BIAB partial grain recipe - spcialty grains as they are, base of mostly 2 row with remainder made up with DME. I think it is a bit too sweet without enough of a nutty flavor. Anyone else who brewed this feel this way?

Anyone ever do the BYO recipe of this beer? It was in an issue a couple years back with Russian River Vinny on the cover. As I recall, the grain bill there was MO and Carahell with 1.25 oz Northern Brewer, some Columbus, Cascade and Centennial.

Hey, I just started doing a little research on a Dale's Clone and found another recipe from a guy named Craig who says he was the one who had the homebrew recipe that they used to make the original Dale's from (at least) 98'-02'.

The thread can be found here

This is one of his final posts(for 6bbl I believe):
-------------------------------------------------------

Here's an extract from my old spreadsheet - can't remember if I posted this before or not. It's rough - but kids, this is how I brewed Dale's when it first hit the faucets in Lyons - grain is in pounds +means number of minutes into a 90 minute boil - you'll figure out the rest I'm sure.
Dale's Pale Ale

Pale 330 432 216
SMC 30 50
Munich 26
SMC 20 26

Northern Brewer [email protected] +10 34.69230769 @7.8
Cascade 20 oz +65
Breakbright 50g +75
Columbus 15 oz +80
Centennial 32 oz +89

Lemme know if you like that Scotch Ale, I can help you out I'm sure...

Sadly, I personally think Oskars is on the downslide - the Corporate push has completely killed the "family" ideals of old.
But good beer is for the people, and I am ALL about that!
--------------------------------------------------------------

From that I figure for a 5.5 gal batch:

12# Marris Otter
1.5# C30
.75# C20
.75# Munich

2 oz Nothern Brewer @80 min
.6 oz Cascade @25 min
.5 oz Columbus @10 min
1 oz Centennial @1 min

Anyway, thought I would throw that in there. Sorry to add another recipe in to one that already has 2 in it. I haven't brewed it but will do so soon. Take it as you will. If it's legit I thought it would be kinda cool.

Bringing this beast back from the dead, anyone report on any of the 3 recipes listed in here?

It looks like numero uno is the winner from the feedback.

I brewed the recipe I posted but changed a couple things. I did:

11# MO
1 1/2# Munich
3/4# C20
3/4# Caramunich I

I should have stick to the 12# MO

The hop additions I changed the first three to 0.75 oz and left the last at 1oz. My IBU was a bit over 40.

It was similar to Dales but not exact. In my opinion it was better than Dales.

I haven't tried the first so I can't speak for that one.

Did a 3 gallon all grain version of this yesterday, so I will report on the taste when it's done! Might have a few more IBUs, and my OG was a couple point high, but I think it'll be good :)

There is no dry hopping? I definetly get a decent nose fron this beer, enough to think there maybe some additions at flameout or dry hop. Hmmmm, brewing it tomorrow might just add some columbus as dry hop after 7 days.

I brewed Recipe #1 on April 17th. I used S-O5 for yeast, mashed at 152. It went from 1.069 to the final gravity of 1.107. I had 83% efficiencies. With all of that being said, I scored a 6-pack of Dale's Pale Ale and 4 of us compared the two, while brewing. Everyone liked the homebrew better than the "real thing". Very nice - not much I would change.

I brewed a 5 gal PM version based closely on #2

6 lb Golden Light DME
1.5 lb Munich 10
1 lb C15
1 lb C40

1 oz Northern Brewer @60
2 oz Cascade @ 20
1 oz Columbus @10
1 oz Centennial at flameout

US-05

Tried it pre-bottled and with a Dale's Can. Color was spot on, malt and hops very similar, but hard to really tell at this point. Looking forward to trying this in a couple weeks

I know this is an old thread, but today I'm brewing a christmas Barleywine. I am making a 5gal batch and the ingredients are very similar to DPA. I live here in CO and love this beer, so I bought some Muntons DME and am going to keep sparging the barleywine grains (so much grain for a 5 gal) and mix up to the right OG, then follow the 1st hop schedule and see what happens. I'll be using US-05 yeast, since I always have some around. Wish me luck and I will keep you posted.
-JT
PS. I've had DPA from the brewery and they think that it should be drank withing 30 days of bottling/kegging, so you don't loose any of the hop aroma. I agree with them!

I brewed niquejim's recipe last week at my homebrew club's first Big Brew Day at a local brewery. (We had a nice write up in a local paper, and then had a reporter from another, slightly bigger, local paper attend our monthly meeting and interview a few of us). This was my first 10 gallon batch with new pots, it was pretty cold and I was in a bit of a rush because I was teaching and we got a late start. Needless to say, I screwed up pretty bad: when I mashed in and checked the temperature I was shocked when I was only at 140*f. I didn't have enough headroom in my rectangular cooler to top off with boiling water so I though a quasi-concoction mash might help. I drained off a gallon or two of wort, heated it up to about 200+ and put it back into the mash tun and crossed my fingers, anticipating I'd hit high on the ABV.

The yeast were slow to start but then developed a nice krausen. Six days later and I still have a very thick, frothy "head"/krausen on top. My OG was 1.071 (and I was shooting for 1.058 according to BeerSmith). Four days later I was down to 1.014; five days I was at 1.010; today (six days out) I'm still dropping to 1.088 (clocking in at 8.3 ABV, so far).

Samples from my refractomer eyedropper taste nice, and surprisingly still a bit sweet (I was expecting it to be bone dry).

Krausen @ day 1:
7YHO2V0NgGsKRU0srMKhsMa86VgzSyMbQEVvcK-ltBc

Krausen @ day 2:
ZvzzWDbwrxWfMZqbdQFoiZi4haKKRx6KAamVMjPWFXM

Any thoughts about the long-lasting krausen or is this just CO2 foam? Any guesses how low the gravity is going to drop?

is 1272 able to get this beer down to 1.012 (recipe #1)? 1272 has an attenuation of 70-75. My calculation shows that 1.060 to 1.012 is about 80% attenuation.

I brewed a 5 gal PM version based closely on #2

6 lb Golden Light DME
1.5 lb Munich 10
1 lb C15
1 lb C40

1 oz Northern Brewer @60
2 oz Cascade @ 20
1 oz Columbus @10
1 oz Centennial at flameout

US-05

Tried it pre-bottled and with a Dale's Can. Color was spot on, malt and hops very similar, but hard to really tell at this point. Looking forward to trying this in a couple weeks

Brewed this recipe months ago and it was PHENOMENAL! Just wanted to give a thumbs up to bnilguy! DPA is one of my favorite beers.

I recently started BIAB. So gonna use the 5.5g AG recipe above soon. Thanks for this thread everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Recipe 1, grain bill acquired. This will be my next brew. Maybe even tomorrow if I finish converting the kettles to electric this afternoon.

I need to get some very approachable beer in the pipeline behind my blonde ale, and this should be perfect.

Recipe 1 in secondary. Will be kegging 5 gals and bottling 5 gals this weekend. After that, 7-10 days to carbonate so probably ready to drink 11/10.

So far the hydrometer tastes have been very nice! Will report further after the 10th.

I just brewed recipe 1 tonight. Beer is good do you have an update on how yours turned out?

Ok, it took me awhile to find this. I think I was confused. I called mine "American pale ale" and I used slightly different hops, I think I did not want to buy more hops. Anyway it came out great, I already drank it all :mug:

I forgot to update here. I will remember next time... I used mosaic hops so it tasted kind of fruity and not how I was expecting, but it was still good.

is 1272 able to get this beer down to 1.012 (recipe #1)? 1272 has an attenuation of 70-75. My calculation shows that 1.060 to 1.012 is about 80% attenuation.

I couldn't get it down to 1.012. It was sitting at 1.028 for several weeks and I repitched and warmed it up a bit and got it down to 1.022 but no futher. It's been sitting another two weeks and I'm going to let it go until Sunday and then Keg it.

Back