Orval dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfonnes

Reaction score
I have been growing some yeast that I got from a bottle of Orval.

I am planning to brew a tripel using pilsner and a little munich. Primary it for a week using Wyeast 3463. Rack it to secondary with the Orval yeast and a pound of candi sugar. Then over the course of a couple of weeks add another pound of sugar. Finally throw a oak dowel in it and let it sit in the primary for a few months.

What are your suggestions or opinions on this plan?

I have heard that Orval brews with one strain and bottles with a different strain. Can anybody confirm this or is it just another of those nasty internet urban myths.

I have heard that Orval brews with one strain and bottles with a different strain. Can anybody confirm this or is it just another of those nasty internet urban myths.

It has brett in the bottle for sure. If you haven't had the chance to compare a "fresh" Orval with a couple year old bottle, you should seek out the experience.

If it is bottled with a different strain, I wonder what that would do to the batch. The yeast that I am growing definitely smells like Orval, sort of fruity.

I am a big fan of, if you don't know, and it sounds right, try it and see what happens. Even if it is a bottling strain, it's still yeast. And not only is it yeast, it's a yeast Trappist monks choose to put in their beer. So what's the worst that could happen?

Back