Sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_cbe

Reaction score
Does anyone know which is better to use when making hard cider? White sugar, light brown sugar, or dark brown sugar? I've done a small test batch with no additional sugar, and that turned out pretty well, but it had little kick.

traditional british-style cider typically has an ABV of about 5-7%. Did your cider have that much of a kick/ABV?

5% maybe. Never did any measurements (don't usually measure the must). I made 1.5 gallon batch of cyser, and used the remaining 1/2 gallon to see how cider would turn out. A lot better than I expected, so I'm making more.

Why don't you do an experiment and see which sugar you prefer? One gallon each of cane sugar, brown sugar and so on? This may be a personal taste thing, or there could be systematic differences that lots of people notice when using one sugar over another. I'd probably recommend corn sugar as it's easily dissolved at room temps and seems to work well in apfelwein.

Back