What is floating around in my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockindaddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This video was taken right after squeezing the grain bag and right before boil occurred. This is BM's Centennial Blonde recipe biab. Any ideas? The first time I tried this recipe I got "Floaties" in my bottles. I'm trying to avoid that this time. Thanks.

[ame]http://youtu.be/jydY4dRQrjY[/ame]

Those are protein clumps. No problem at all. Best thing to do to keep "floaters" out is to get a good hot break, then cold break. Use Irish moss or whirfloc at 10 left in boil. I strongly encourage cold crashing after the beer is finished and conditioned. I use gelatin to further fine my beer and end up with commercial level clarity.

Many people can get super clear beer without gelatin too. Make sure you give the beer enough time at fridge temps to reduce chill haze and let any sediment settle to the bottom of the bottle. If you still have floaters, make sure you're pouring carefully. Follow these things for clear beer!

This is a pic of my boil today (notice same clumps).

image-4095269561.jpg

Keep in mind you may not want to squeeze the grain bag. From what I hear this can put extra tannins in your beer and make it taste more astringent.

Back