Favorite Beer to Age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upNYbrew

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew up something soon to age until next winter (or longer), thinking either a RIS or a Belgian quad. Whats everyones favorite beer for long aging?

RIS...ever try the difference between a Westy 12 or Rocheforte 10 that is fresh and one that is a year old? I'll take the fresh one every time.

Interesting, can't say that I've had the chance to sample an old & young Roche. I was always under the impression these were better with age. Have you tried brewing one before?

RIS...ever try the difference between a Westy 12 or Rocheforte 10 that is fresh and one that is a year old? I'll take the fresh one every time.

I can't come up with a favorite, but I love aging beers. BTW, the begian tripel I brewed in April 2011 gets better with each passing month, but only have 5 left.

Some I have in various stages of aging: 2 Tripels, RIS, Scotch Ale, and a Sour. I want to get a Barleywine going soon as well.

12%+ strong dark Belgiums. I'm aging one now that I brewed new years day I hope to have ready for Christmas next year. Mine is 15.5%, I have heard it takes 3 or more years to hit there peak.

Interesting, can't say that I've had the chance to sample an old & young Roche. I was always under the impression these were better with age. Have you tried brewing one before?

Yeah, had a number of Rocheforte 10's and Westy 12's when I went to Belgium. I brought back 10 Westy 12's for me and a few friends. One friend and I were able to let one each age for a year. We cracked them open and without discussing it both said, "Wish we drank this fresh." So, not a side by side but our memory coincided that we both liked the fresh Westy 12 more. I also preferred the fresher Rocheforte 10's more...or they have a different recipe for the local market; but I somehow doubt that.

As far as brewing a clone, nope. I have done a few quads, first one was my only stalled beer in a decade of brewing (sometimes it just doesn't matter if you do everything right, it stalls) and it is now heavily bretted with blackberries due up for bottling this month. The other I spiced...a little too much ginger IMO.

So far I have been enjoying aging my Irish Stout. I just bottled an Oatmeal Stout 8 days ago, I'll see how much better that gets with age, haven't tried it yet. I plan on trying it after 3 weeks, and then again on St Patty's day, and so on.

Latest posts

Back