Nottingham w/ California Common Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKing

Reaction score
Nottingham has been very good to me lately, and I've thought about doing my Regal Beagle California Common as the next batch.

I realize that yeast is what makes a true Steam Beer what it is, but figured I'd just go with trusty ol' Nottingham this time around and ferment in the 60-65 degree range and keep my original grain and hop bill.

How far off will it really be using Nottingham?

Like you said, the Cal Common yeast makes it a steam beer. Without that you're making a pale ale. I guess you could try to ferment it in the 50's and maybe get some of that lagerish character you get with Cal Common, but I would just get the real yeast if I were you. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this would be a great beer with Nottingham, it just wouldn't be a Steam Beer.

If you can control fermentation temps in the low 60s, why not just use cali common yeast?

Just curious.

If you can control fermentation temps in the low 60s, why not just use cali common yeast?

Just curious.

Main reason is that I have really been enjoying the ease of hydrating and pitching dry yeast on brew day instead of messing around with a starter.

I have also been more than impressed with Nottingham lately. Dependable, cheaper than Wyeast, quick fermentation with great results.

Also just curious.

D.H. Lawrence Steam, if you will.

Rainbow Steam?

I switched to US-05 and couldn't tell the difference. I'm not the most acute taster, but I think you'll be perfectly happy.

My Steam recipe is currently fermenting with *gasp* S-04. I made the switch after realizing that the differences between my Otter Head clone and Steam recipe were pretty scant (finish wiith NB instead of fuggles and switch base malt).
It's not a Cali Common, but should be great.

Latest posts

Back