Sugar Content of Raspberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know how much sugar/lb (or any other mass or weight measurement) is in raspberries? I've made a historically well recieved Honey Wheat Raspberry high alchohol beer. The problem is that I add the first of two frozen raspberry additions after the fermentation has began. I do take an o.g. reading post cool out of the kettle, but it obviously doesn't account for the raspberries. I'd like the folks at my niece's 21st b-day party to know how much of the booze they're consuming.

George said:
Does anyone out there know how much sugar/lb (or any other mass or weight measurement) is in raspberries? I've made a historically well recieved Honey Wheat Raspberry high alchohol beer. The problem is that I add the first of two frozen raspberry additions after the fermentation has began. I do take an o.g. reading post cool out of the kettle, but it obviously doesn't account for the raspberries. I'd like the folks at my niece's 21st b-day party to know how much of the booze they're consuming.
There is very little sugar, thats all I can say. Even with two raspberry additions (even large additions), I would imagine your gravity wouldnt go up more than 0.5%. Sorry I'm not of much help, but fruit additions are not where you get much of your fermentables, and raspberries aren't a very sweet fruit.

phuzle said:
There is very little sugar, thats all I can say. Even with two raspberry additions (even large additions), I would imagine your gravity wouldnt go up more than 0.5%. Sorry I'm not of much help, but fruit additions are not where you get much of your fermentables, and raspberries aren't a very sweet fruit.
Not to mention it will vary every year .

Hello George,

I see now that you posted this in 2005, WOW!
I make a high gravity raspberry honey wheat as well. I also make lots of fruit wines, beers and ciders.
Here is a chart with approximate sugar levels.
Note: Sugar level changes everyday until harvest and some after also. That's why wine grape harvesting is a science and art.
It is best to check the amount of sugar in the fruit with a refractometer but for estimated gravity and estimated additions this will hopefully be helpful to fruit beer and wine makers.
pS_QPyavKSfoTG1VXoACZUNr5AaTXR8c_m-eaPRk4uD9LosvIWrEobeqFtEeWKuWIiHw38k7nuGf7aijzwJuJPPugw=s512

ltdWXi8l9l00oFoVrhrDxACwJ3uiSMraR-ukQPBEkvDRQpS6JL9UDSi2eHD8_wB9jYzpDQIu6BKEl-mg2CsqXQWuuQ=s512

Here are links to the images (for a larger view). Google docs format, no sign in required.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5l9-5KEVne9MzM5NjUxZjItNTlmYy00YTk5LTg4NTMtNjc5YTBlMTBhYWYy&hl=en
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5l9-5KEVne9M2ZmMmMwM2ItZmRhMy00MDRhLTkwNTQtNzNhZTE5ZDY2NGUy&hl=en

Update,
Dried Cherries (not listed above) are 69% sugar by weight.
This is "Whole Foods Sour Tart Dried Cherries"; so 100 grams of cherries would be 69 grams of sugar, or 1lb would be 11.2 oz of sugar. So be forewarned that dried cherries add a lot of sugar/alcohol to your beer. Cheers!

Back