Working with Wheat & Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akajdg

Reaction score
I'm planning on messing with some Wheat/Rye for a little American Wheat beer and have a grain bill composed of the following.

6lbs Pale Wheat Malt
2lbs Rye Malt
.6oz Honey malt
1lb Rice Hulls

I'm curious if I will have any conversion issues and if the 1lb of rice hulls is sufficient in the aid of sparging?
JDG

Wheat and especially rye malt can be difficult to work with in a conventional tun. Your rice hulls may do the trick or may not. This may be the one to learn BIAB on as the issues of sticking don't occur with that system.

Wheat and especially rye malt can be difficult to work with in a conventional tun. Your rice hulls may do the trick or may not. This may be the one to learn BIAB on as the issues of sticking don't occur with that system.

I'm not much of a fan of surprises on brew day so I'm going to add some 2-row in hopes that it allows for some forgiveness with the wheat & rye.
48% 5lb 0 Rahr Two-Row 34 4 ~
29% 3lb 0 Weyermann Pale Wheat 39 2 ~
10% 1lb 0 Weyermann Rye 34 3 ~
10% 1lb 0 Rice Hulls info 0 0 ~
4% 0 6oz Gambrinus Honey Malt 28 25 ~

Back