liquid wyeast 1272 or a package of US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoloMT7

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm going to brew the following recipe this weekend and I've got either a liquid wyeast 1272 or a package of US-05 I can use. From what I've read either yeast should work for this batch. Any reason that I should use one over the other or does it not really matter? I've never used the US-05 before but I have read really good stuff on here about it.

1 lb. Carapils (Steep for 20 mins)
3 lbs Light DME
3 lbs Amber LME (Have some to use up or would have bought DME)
1 oz. Cascade hops for 45 mins
1/2 oz. Cascade hops for 10 mins
1/2 oz. Cascade hops for Dry hopping

This is my first attempt at my own recipe... it's actually just a bit modified but similar to the 10K Strawberry Ale recipe on tasty brew (minus the strawberry and doing the hops a bit different and the Amber I'm using is a LME instead of a DME). Any thoughts or suggestions on yeast or anything? Thanks

You should mention your batch volume so we can have some idea of the starting gravity. That would make the difference for me.

It's Wednesday and you're brewing over the weekend. Because 1272 flocculates so quickly, there's time to make a starter for a mid-gravity brew.

If it's a low gravity brew (<~1.004) you'd be fine direct pitching the 1272 as long as the yeast is fresh because it's a very clean strain.

If your brew is higher gravity then it would be best to pitch the dry yeast.

Also, check your malt extracts to see if they contain dextrine malt. Many do. 1lb of carapils in a 5 gal. batch including extracts will probably make a very heavy bodied, faintly sweet beer. Best bet is to drop the carapils or at least scale back.

Sorry yup it's a 5 Gallon batch and am expecting OG of 1.056 and FG around 1.010. Thanks the reason i bought stuff today is because i wanted to get a starter going tonight. I've probably brewed 15 or so times so far is all and have never done a starter to this point but I'd want to do one this time. I'll check for the Dextrine malt. And I'll scale back the Carapils a bit. I'd like to use them because I did have excellent results the last few times i used them. Thanks again!

If you get your starter going tonight you will be in good shape. Then you can save your dry yeast for a rainy day!

Great I will do the starter tonight with with the 1272 then. How much should I do or what directions should i follow to do the starter for my first time? I'll search the site for Starters but like i said never done one so is there one way that's better then another for 1272 ?

Bookmark this: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html
It will show you what volume of starter you should use.

The 1272 is very flocculant, so if you put your finished starter in the refrigerator for 24 hours it will drop clear and you can decant the spent starter beer if you want to. Some people just pitch the whole starter. Your choice.

Back