Grinding Grains Early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How much of an impact does it have, if any, to grind grains a few weeks before you plan to brew?

I don't have a mill and I'm not planning on brewing for a few weeks but I'm passing the LHBS today. I'm just wondering if I should wait and go a few weeks later.

Thanks!

:mug:

Personally I would wait. Crushed grains will go stale very quickly and you don't want your beer to taste that way. If you can store them in one of those vacuum bags they would be fine.

I agree. For the freshest beer crush your grains right before you brew. However, if you have a vaccuum sealer you can have them for a while and still be fresh. If it is your last resort and you can seal them, make sure you wrap them tightly, cover them from light, and store them in a fridge.

However, I believe that we all would recommend that you crush your grains at the latest possible moment.

- WW

wilsonwj said:
I agree. For the freshest beer crush your grains right before you brew. However, if you have a vaccuum sealer you can have them for a while and still be fresh. If it is your last resort and you can seal them, make sure you wrap them tightly, cover them from light, and store them in a fridge.

However, I believe that we all would recommend that you crush your grains at the latest possible moment.

- WW

I like to crush mine right before I dough in. :D Can't get much fresher than that.

Just curious to know what the shelf live is on grains for those of you who buy bulk? What does everybody use to store them in? I notice that most LHBS keep them in plastic buckets.

I use plastic lined cedar barrels with plastic lids in my basement next to my grinder. Store the grains uncrushed and sealed.

Right before I dough in I use a 1/2# scooper, grind then into the MT they go ready for dough-in.

Easy 1,2,3...

- WW

I think rule of thumb is 1 year from date on bag.

I use the 40# cat litter buckets, and also double bag inside of the buckets (probably overkill, but WTF).

Thanks for the advice!! - I will wait for brew-day.

BTW - Ed's Haus Ale is what 'll be brewin' up for my first AG. :mug:

I normally get them crushed the day before I brew, but one time I couldn't use my grain for 3 weeks. I kept it in a bag with all of the air squeezed out and twist tied, then put it in a sealed bucket in the basement - cool, dark, dry place. I made a recipe I make all of the time and it came out just fine - no different than usual. Pretty sure the key was keeping it cool and dry and not exposed to circulating air. I'm sure it would have been stale had I just left it in that bag sitting on the kitchen counter.

My kegger is cold enough the freezer section is froze, so I just put the pre-crushed grains up there along with the hops stash. Good for months.

I used to buy pre-crushed grain a couple hundred pounds at a time and use it over a period of months. I never really noticed a difference vs grinding on brew day.

I think the perishability of ground grain...and grain in general...is overrated. Keep it dry and cool...all the stuff that is intuitive...and you're fine as far as I can tell. I've used some very old grain before, and never noticed any problems. YMMV.

Cheers :D

Back