Show us your milled grains!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireRescueFL

Reaction score
I just did my first AG and as would be expected, I had a low efficiency. Did some research and I saw that many people say the crush can play a big part in getting a good conversion. I just realized that since my LHBS does my milling that I have no idea if it's right or not. So, help a newbie out and post up some shots of what properly milled grains should look like. When I get home tomorrow, I'll post a pic of the extra pound of amber malt I have and you guys can give me your opinions.

Thanks!

---Chris

Simply put...are all the grains well broken and easily exposed to be mashed? Are there any grains that still appear whole? IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE WHEN IT COMES TO CRUSH...SORRY CAP LOCK INADVERTANT... If any unbroken grains are present, repeat and crush again.....

Simply put...are all the grains well broken and easily exposed to be mashed? Are there any grains that still appear whole? IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE WHEN IT COMES TO CRUSH...SORRY CAP LOCK INADVERTANT... If yes repeat the procedure tomorrow...

This is a good description, and I agree with "wilserbrewer." There's nothing mysterious about the crush, it just comes down to cranking down whatever you're using until all the grains are broken up. Yes, by the time I did that I was getting a little flour in the grist. No, in dozens of mashes I've never experienced a stuck sparge.

4709369205_2f09a092dd_b.jpg

4710009818_a73b96cd44_b.jpg

4709368309_05426e90d0_b.jpg

I see that you live in Groveland, so I assume you get your grain from Hearts Homebrew. If so, they go light on the crush for sure. The best efficiency I ever had when they milled my grain was 62%. Since I got my own mill for Xmas, I have been hitting 77-82%. It's a pretty big difference.

Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner. My grains did come from Heart's and they look NOTHING like the pics above.

So how much does a decent mill cost?

---Chris

image-1444555984.jpg

image-3481520647.jpg

Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner. My grains did come from Heart's and they look NOTHING like the pics above.

So how much does a decent mill cost?

---Chris

I see quite a bit of completely un-crushed kernels in the second pic.

You can get a bare bones mill like this for $117 plus shipping:

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html

If you are handy, you can build a hopper, base and motorize it. So, you are pretty much looking at something like $300+ all said and done motorized and ready to rock. Depending on your scrounging skills, fabrication skills and who you know, you could cut that down to about $175 or less if you are really smooth.:D

A mill is a very good investment if you are serious about this hobby.

Catt22, and mysticmeads crush look good. The crush you got from Hearts is embarrassing. I don't know if you need a mill or a LHBS that knows what it's doing.

Catt22, and mysticmeads crush look good. The crush you got from Hearts is embarrassing. I don't know if you need a mill or a LHBS that knows what it is doing.

I tell ya... Brewmasterswarehouse.com has a great crush.. before making my mill I would have them crush my grain when I ordered. Always an outstanding crush.

Catt22, and mysticmeads crush look good. The crush you got from Hearts is embarrassing. I don't know if you need a mill or a LHBS that knows what it's doing.

Hearts has an ancient Corona mill that they admit they don't know what the gap setting is. I was told once that they double crushed the grain, but I doubt it. They also don't do customer service really well, pissing off many people in the Central Florida area. They really only want people to buy online and have it shipped or just walk in and pick it up. Don't ask questions, pick up your order and leave quickly. Thank god for forums like this, otherwise beginning brewers in our area would have no where to go to learn better techniques and such. The Central Florida people could probably start a hilarious thread about their experiences at this store.

Yor grain sure looks under milled to me. I have heard some say that they have had LHBS shop under mill to sell more fermentables??? If you want to go with your own mill and want to get a Barley Crusher, Beer Smith has a special deal that you can find on their web site that is the best deal that I was able to find.

Ummm, that grain in the above pic isn't crushed. IF it was run through a crusher, you need to shop elsewhere.

_

Hearts has an ancient Corona mill that they admit they don't know what the gap setting is. I was told once that they double crushed the grain, but I doubt it. They also don't do customer service really well, pissing off many people in the Central Florida area. They really only want people to buy online and have it shipped or just walk in and pick it up. Don't ask questions, pick up your order and leave quickly. Thank god for forums like this, otherwise beginning brewers in our area would have no where to go to learn better techniques and such. The Central Florida people could probably start a hilarious thread about their experiences at this store.

I've been going to hearts for years! as long as i've been going they've always had a 2 roller and just a few months ago upgraded to a 3 roller.

I bought a mill when i started doing all grain so i only had them ever crush my specialty grains.

with that being said... i would bet money that there bi polar or maybe just old cranky guys! I try and shop local but going into there store was IMO a inconvenience and would bother them 60% or the time, the other 40% they were more friendly.

I would only go there and get bulk grain and yeast. I started buying hops in builk online and all/any equipment online as well.

I will say this for you central fl guys that would go to hearts. Try this new place in Saint Cloud, Fl

The home brew store
1422 s. narcoossee rd
st cloud, fl 34769
407957BEER(2337)

there new and want to help and get you anything you want!

My first two all grain batches (one from LHBS and one from Northern) had around 60% efficiency. I ordered ingredients for my last brew from Farmhouse Brewing Supply and opted for the double crush. Bam, 75% efficiency.

My next big purchase will probably be a mill, but until then, I'm buying all my grain from Farmhouse.

Barley Crusher set at .037", which is just below the factory gap of .039".

DSC02431.jpg

vtron said:
My first two all grain batches (one from LHBS and one from Northern) had around 60% efficiency. I ordered ingredients for my last brew from Farmhouse Brewing Supply and opted for the double crush. Bam, 75% efficiency.

My next big purchase will probably be a mill, but until then, I'm buying all my grain from Farmhouse.

I've purchased twice from Farmhouse and been very happy with their crush.. Batch sparging has been netting 82-84% efficiency. Great crush off their mill.

This is my corona mill crash, consistent 82-85% efficiency according to beersmith, i double batch sparge

02032012097.jpg

02032012098.jpg

so pretty much what your saying is my LHBS also sucks at crushing grain? I just purchased my 2nd all grain batch ingredients. On my first one i was able to get a 69% efficiency according to beersmith. My grain is definitely not cracked that finely. here are a couple pics. If possible could anyone confirm the level of Shi##yness of the grains? Terrible, not bad, good, etc?

IMG_1250[1].jpg

IMG_1251[1].jpg

Here's a closeup. I use a Victoria corona type mill. I consistently get 76-78% efficiency.

image-450195627.jpg

Hearts really does have an interesting business model. I don't live in central Florida anymore but when I did I got everything at Hearts. I am not really sure why. I have since decided buying local for the sake of buying local isn't worth it. If the shop really is bad, do not support them. They acted like they were doing you a favor by taking your money. Their crush was subpar in my experience. And the customer service experience was interesting to say the least.

I have a related question...

Our Local shop has a mill that you operate, you do everything...measure out your grains, mill it, bag it, then go up and pay for it. Overall its great because i get the whole process, obviously they have their rollers preset and dont let people adjust them.

But my question is this, when i go get my grains i typically throw everything into a bag, then dump the entire bag into the mill, specialty grains, flaked oats, dont care just throw the whole recipe in and turn the mill on.
Is this wrong? Should i mill my 2 row by itself, then specialty grains? Or does it not really matter? I seem to be getting a decent ~68-71% efficiency...although im always looking to improve if its as simple a fix as seperate millings.

Our Local shop has a mill that you operate, you do everything...measure out your grains, mill it, bag it, then go up and pay for it. Overall its great because i get the whole process, obviously they have their rollers preset and dont let people adjust them.

But my question is this, when i go get my grains i typically throw everything into a bag, then dump the entire bag into the mill, specialty grains, flaked oats, dont care just throw the whole recipe in and turn the mill on.
Is this wrong? Should i mill my 2 row by itself, then specialty grains? Or does it not really matter? I seem to be getting a decent ~68-71% efficiency...although im always looking to improve if its as simple a fix as seperate millings.

Anyone? Interested in hearing, as i am going to go get grains for another batch in a few days.

At my LHBW I run the grain mill myself. In the begining the crush was incomplete so I ran them through twice. Then apaprently they adjusted the gap and now I get a perfect crush once through. If your LHBW runs them mill and they don't know what a good crush looks like I think its time to get a new LHBW or buy online.

I don't see a problem with this, I mean all the grains are going in the mash anyway, correct?

I'm not sure that the flaked grains need to be crushed. I would be interested in what someone with more experience has to say about crushing flaked grains. Is that necessary?

I have a Barley Crusher and don't have a picture but my grain looks like HERMSman when crushed.

I don't see a problem with this, I mean all the grains are going in the mash anyway, correct?

I'm not sure that the flaked grains need to be crushed. I would be interested in what someone with more experience has to say about crushing flaked grains. Is that necessary?

I have a Barley Crusher and don't have a picture but my grain looks like HERMSman when crushed.

Im not worried about the flaked grains getting crushed, im not trying to crush them...dont worry about that :) I just wasnt sure if having the other smaller grains and flaked grains could somehow affect the crush of the 2 row...like oats getting in and letting my 2 row slide through unharmed, etc.

I love my $20 corona mill and grinding the grain really doesn't take that long. I get a perfect balance of fine crush and what I would call medium crush and it's super easy to adjust on the fly. I've only had 1 sparge that was close to being stuck, but I blame the 1/2lb of flaked oats for that.

Latest posts

Back