Mold in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire

Reaction score
After my last batch, I cleaned my fermentation bucket with Sun Oxy cleaner and rinsed it out. I laid the lid on top, didn't seal it, and put the bucket away. Today I pulled it out to get ready to brew and noticed several small spots of mold in the bottom. Obviously there was still a little water in there when I put it away. My question is, will cleaning it with Sun Oxy again, then using StarSan in it take care of it? I do not have any bleach. Thanks.

I'd say put some oxy cleaner in there & scrub it with a soft cloth to avoid scratching it. Clean the tap too (if your FV has one). Then rinse well. Then sanitize right before using it. If not,just clean it & let it sit in a dish rack upside down to dry before storing till next time.

Yes, it should. I had that happen once before and after cleaning it with oxy and using starsan, it hasn't come back. I don't stack buckets or leave the lids on them anymore.

After I get'em clean & dry,I set the lids loosely on top till next time. Don't want anything settling into it.

I'd probably say, "Meh...Buckets are cheap." Then just buy a new one. I would not want to worry about contaminating a batch. Cause I'd worry the entire time it was fermenting if it were me.

I never let mine dry. On the rare occasion I have an empty bucket, I fill it up with water and splash a little bleach in it. The one time I had an infection(three+ years ago) it was caused by mold in a transfer hose. All my hoses now soak in a cooler with a bleach solution in it.

I'm in the "little water with bleach after use" group. Haven't had any problems yet. After a couple days I'll drain and rinse them and then store them upside down with something under the rim to keep condensation from forming. Then it's a rinse and swirl some starsan before filling

Latest posts

Back