Broken thermometer - timed brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leirbag

Reaction score
I was just heating up 2 gallons of water, with the goal of getting it to 155 degrees when I walked over with my thermometer and wouldn't you know it I freakin hit the thermometer tip in the lip of the kettle; it broke open!!!! :mad:

I don't want to have this stop me and I figured I should be able to guesstimate the time it takes to get to my degree points. But I wanted to see if my times seem really out of whack.

I have an electric stove so that is a huge factor. I think I remember it taking about 45 minutes or so to get to around 160 degrees. Does that time sound really out of the ballpark? And I use an immersion chiller so I estimate it will take me around 25 minutes to cool it down to around 80 degrees.

What does anyone think about my time estimates? I don't want to put off brewing today so I am moving forward regardless of this set back.

Thanks for any tips.

Gabriel

Are you just steeping grains for an extract brew? If so, I dont think its necessary to hit exactly 155. You do want to make sure it doesnt get up over 170 though. Your time does not sound unreasonable, but there is no way for any of us to tell you when your stove will hit 155. I guess you could stick your finger in it, once it starts getting hot enough to burn you, add your grains? lol

No meat thermometer lying around?

When are they going to make the THROW YOUR GLASS THERMOMETERS AWAY thread a sticky?

It is extract brewing so I am with you that exact temperatures are not that important. I'm moving forward with my guesstimates. I should have searched the forum before posting I now realize that this has been posted before, it was just my knee-jerk reaction to reach out to my brew comrades.

Back